1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

rabbit meat?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pink_devil, Mar 17, 2010.

1. pink_devil Junior Member

Bulgarian
    Hello everyone,

Meat from a pig is pork; from a cow is beef...etc. Could you please tell me if there is a certain word about the rabbit meat?
    Thanks!

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    As far as I know, no. It's just called rabbit meat.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Bunny beef? Just joking... I think you'll have to dine on rabbit meat -- I've never heard any other term (just as chicken is chicken). If you're serving it, you can leave off the meat, "I hope you'll enjoy the wild rabbit I've prepared for you."

4. pink_devil Junior Member

Bulgarian
    Great, thanks!It's because I was teaching the kinds of meat and I was asked that question- I didn't think it does have a special name, but wanted to make sure-sure. :)
    Thanks again!

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I found this a fascinating question so I hopped right to it. 'ear's one source of recipes that just calls it "rabbit."

See HERE.

6. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    1. I love rabbit meat.
    2. I love rabbit's meat.

Hello friends,

Would you please be kind enough to tell me which one is grammatically correct?
    Should I use a possessive noun?

(I searched for it in the forum but couldn't
    find a thread related to my question
    )
    Source: self made grammar question
    Thank you

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    It's just as written in this existing thread :)

rabbit meat?

8. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I don't think I've ever seen rabbit meat on sale at a supermarket, to say nothing of chicken meat, pig meat etc.

9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I think you mean that you've never seen it called that, no? (rather than not being able to buy chicken, rabbit or pork):)

10. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I mean I would never call it "rabbit meat" since I have no need for this expression (and I have never heard anyone call rabbit rabbit meat).

11. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    A quick search of Google will show a variety of sources that use rabbit meat. I wouldn't be surprised to see "meat" attached to any animal that is not the usual pork, beef and chicken, e.g. rattlesnake meat, horsemeat, ostrich meat, rat meat. I see it as reinforcement that it's meant for human consumption.

12. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

My husband grew up eating rabbit meat (it's too gamey for me), and he always just calls it "rabbit."

13. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Just to clarify, my comments were about retail sales. I think once you get the meat home, you would refer to it as rabbit, ostrich, rattlesnake and rat ... don't know about horse, never having brought one to the table. :)

14. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I've merged the two rabbit threads. So hop to it, kids. :)

15. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Fresh rabbit is often sold whole, so you would usually talk about buying rabbit (rather than rabbit meat). I have bough frozen rabbit before (cut up, rather than whole), and I think it was retailed as 'frozen rabbit' (rather than 'rabbit meat'). (In other words, I'm in agreement with e2efour.)

For a related discussion on goat meat, see
    [h=1]Goat meat [word?][/h]

16. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Hello again,

I know that we should say "beef" instead of the meat of a cow.
    and
    I know that we should say "pork" instead of the meat of a pig.

But but if we specify them?

I mean:
    1. cow meat or (cow milk)
    2. cow's meat or (cow's milk)
    3. pig meat or (pig milk)
    4. pig's meat or (pig's milk)

I think according to "rabbit meat" only number 1 and 3 are correct. Am I right?

17. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
  18. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Thank you but what about "meat"?
    Is it like "rabbit meat" order?
    I mean can we say "cow meat" or "pig meat"?

19. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    If you are asking about compound nouns of the type noun plus noun, the second of which is meat, then it is true that we can create them by putting the name of the animal first, without the apostrophe.
    But there are some words in English where we do not do this, although we can theoretically. These are the meat of dead animals. The meat has a special name that English has taken from French. These names include beef, pork, mouton (meat from a sheep), venison (deer) etc.

With the exception of these words, when we eat or buy meat, we use the name of the living animal. So we eat rabbit, horse and crab, for example. We could also eat or buy hedgehog, armadillo, python etc. if the supermarket sold this type of meat.

We do not normally add "meat", except in a few words like crabmeat and horsemeat.