radicchio di campo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by linguist_inside, Mar 1, 2010.

1. linguist_inside

linguist_inside Junior Member

Padua, Italy
    I'm wondering if there's a difference between "radicchio" and "radicchio di campo", is it a different kind or same thing?
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Radicchio is likely to be grown in a greenhouse, "di campo" means it was picked in a field.
  3. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    if you look here you'll see two photos. The one on the left suggests it's something different, while on the right it seems to be the same thing. I have a feeling that radicchio di campo is a wild version, but it may be a synonym for one of the three shop varieties: Treviso, Verona and Chioggia.
    Wait for the Venetians to intervene, they're the experts!

PS: Paul is from Brescia, which isn't far from Veneto region!
  4. Akire72

Akire72 Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian - Italy
    There are several kinds of chicories. The ones that are grown in greenhouses or in the fileds and ar used for large-scale commerce and those that grow wild in the fields. I used to go with my grandma to pick the wild chicories in the fields. They are rather different. Grown chicory not only is much bigger but also softer and sweeter. Wild chicories are little as a dandelion can be and crunchier and VERY bitter!
  5. prowlerxpla Senior Member

Passo Genovese
    Italy Italian
    By me the one on the left is before cutting, the one on the right is the one on the left after cutting and served on a dish:), if I understood your doubt.
  6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I understood that this was the difference (of course;)), but the one on the left seemed too light in colour.
    Anyway, I think the other explanations have clarified some doubts:).
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. trip54 Senior Member

I agree with Paul. Raddicchio di Chioggia, Trevisano e Verona are radicchi that are dark red when ready to be eaten, and they are all grown in greenhouse. Trevisano is taller and need to be covered with peat or straw in order to let the central stem get white. Other species mentioned appear as ball. Radicchio di campo is dark green and more than one kind can be called Radicchio di campo
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010