raft and rick'em

Discussion in 'English Only' started by brian03, Aug 24, 2009.

1. brian03 Junior Member

PHOEBE: I can be a waitress. OK watch this. Um, gimme two number ones, 86 the bacon, one Adam and Eve on a raft and rick'em, la-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la-la.

I don't get those phrases in blue mean

1. Number 86, by any chance, represent any specific expression instead?

2. and what adam and eve on a raft and rick'em means???

Thanks in advance. have a good day you all.
  2. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Hello Brian,

This is diner slang. Here is a list of common terms used by people who work in diners.

86 the bacon = get rid of the bacon, or there is to be no bacon with this order.

Adam and Eve on a raft = two eggs on toast.

...and rick 'em. Are you sure this isn't "... and wreck 'em"? To "wreck" them means to break the yolks. Sometimes scrambled eggs are ordered this way.
  3. ARGMAN Senior Member

wow I never would discover that in the dictionary lol.

but why the la-la-la-la melody at the end? is it like a music indicated that the order went through or what?
  4. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

English - US (Midwest)
    How do you scramble eggs without breaking the yolks?
  5. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Regnum Sussaxonum
    UK English
    Usages very much related to US diners I think - I doubt many people outside the US would get many of the references (this UK native speaker certainly doesn't!).
  6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    I assume that you either break the yolks of fried eggs or you scramble eggs.
  7. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I don't know if "86 the ____" started as diner slang, but whatever its origin, in AmE it's definitely used lots of places besides diners now...

Ah, I see from the Online Etymology Dictionary that it did originate in diners and that it dates from 1936. Eighty-six means "eliminate."

As for the issue of breaking the yolks, there is a difference between scrambled eggs, in which the eggs and whites are thoroughly incorporated, and eggs that are allowed to cook for a short time before the yolks are broken and scrambled with the whites. I assume this is talking about the latter, but maybe not. I hate eggs cooked that way (really) so I've never had occasion to order them.

I find the "la-la-la" part a little confusing too, Brian. It'd probably be clearer if you watch the show rather than read the script. My guess is that Phoebe called out the order in a sing-song way and added the la-la-la part at the end so that the whole thing sounded a bit like a song.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  8. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

English - US (Midwest)
    I agree with Paul. If I'm eating the fried egg in a sandwich, I want the yolk broken to make sure it's completely cooked. If it's being served on a plate, I want the yolk intact and runny, so I can dip my toast.
  9. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Lablady was describing how they are ordered, not how they are prepared:D