Rain on your wedding day: good or bad luck?

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Outsider, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    This remark by GreedyGreen in another thread made me smile, because suddenly I remembered that in Portugal people say that rain on a wedding day is a good omen for the married couple. :)

Is rain on one's wedding day considered a bad omen in English? What about other languages or cultures?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. valskyfrance Senior Member

In French we say :

Mariage pluvieux, mariage heureux.

So it's a good thing in the French culture.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Hello Outsider,

I believe in Spain is considered unlucky but not because it is a bad omen, just because it is annoying: it may ruin lovely hairdos and lovely dresses.

We have a tradition (though I am not sure either if it is a local tradition or a more generalized one) that to avoid a rainy wedding day either the bride or the bride's mother have to take a dozen freshly laid eggs to the nuns of the Convent of Saint Clare.

I don't know how it is supossed to work or what the nuns do with all those eggs.
  4. Montesacro Senior Member

In Italy it is definitely a good omen.
    We say: "sposa bagnata, sposa fortunata". (Sposa = bride)
    It seems we believe that rain brings good luck only to one half of the couple... :D
  5. Yajaira

Yajaira Senior Member

Texas, USA
    U.S. English
    In the US rain is supposed to be a good omen even though many consider it to be a bad thing (because your dress can get ruined). Rain on your wedding day also signifies "fertility" and that you may have many children. Catholics say if you hang a rosary outside on the morning of your wedding, the rain should stop in time.
  6. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    That was my first thought too when reading Outsider's starting post. However, here in Austria (predominantly Catholic) no one would consider you lucky if it would rain on your wedding day.

But the fertility-connection very well could be the background for positive connotations of rain on your wedding day.
  7. romarsan

romarsan Senior Member

In Valencia we have the same tradición and the bride takes the same offer to the nuns of the same order, although we have sayings stating that a rainy wedding day is a good omen.
  8. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    The nuns of the Order of Saint Claire (Clare. Chiara, Clara) are contemplatives who spend about eight hours a day in prayer. Many people feel that their prayer is particularly effective. Because the nuns were traditionally vegetarian and until the 1960s they relied on gifts for their sustenance, people developed the habit of bringing a food gift when they asked a favor of the nuns. To make that special, they would bring eggs so the sisters could have an omelet.

As far as I know, the custom isn't related just to rain-free wedding days, and I don't think there is a directo egg-fertility connection, though their might be one on the level of popular belief.
  9. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Thank you for explaining, Nun Translator.

I know your explanation is the right one. The tradition has always puzzled me; but no one could explain what had been its origin.
  10. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    I bet 1 over 10 (don't know if this is the expression) that this tradition/belief (rain = good luck) was brought to us by the Portugueses but I have read somewhere that in the end this an Indian (from India) saying/belief:
    I'd really like to hear some Indians on the matter.
  11. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil
    I think raining on your wedding day is unlucky per se and dispenses with interpretation. Traditions and superstitions vary hugely from region to region within Brazil, but in my experience raining is one of the most unfortunate things that could happen on a wedding day, second only to the bride eloping with somebody else or the groom not showing up.
  12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Or maybe it's just a way to console the poor bride whose wedding dress just got wet. ;)
  13. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    This also would be possible, and the most simple explanation. (After all in some countries there's also good luck connected with broken glass.)
  14. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    I've heard this one in Spain, with the same meaning: "novia mojada, dicha asegurada".
  15. pickypuck Senior Member

Badajoz, Spanish Extremadura
    Extremaduran Spanish
    However, the bride and bridegroom spend half of their salaries in eggs and bring them to St Claire to avoid rain in the wedding day ;)

16. avok

avok Banned

In Turkey, most people would think just like Alanis did. Neither bad luck nor good luck just ironic or something unwanted.

But in general, rain is something good as it means more water, more fertility and more food.
  17. bb008

bb008 Senior Member

Caracas - Venezuela

En Venezuela si el día de tu boda llueve, según las creencias populares, es por que comiste de la olla directamente.

Eso lo dicen por que hay muchas personas que (lo dicen personas de los tiempos de maría castaña, es decir, muy viejos) si comen o han comido directo de una olla en vez de servirse en un plato, seguro que llueve el día de su boda, conozco eso nada más, "pero si es de mala suerte o buen augurio no se que decir"...:rolleyes:
  18. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I always though it had to do with the play of words Clara (in Spanish) to have a clear day, and the fact that the white of the egg is also called clara in Spanish. Makes one wonder... It doesn't always work, though, apparently when Prince Felipe of Spain married Letizia, they sent tons of eggs to Saint Claire's (folk gossip does exaggerate things), and what a downpour! Slosh, slosh they all marched up to the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid.

What exactly do you mean by all this spiel? I don't quite get it, I'm sorry :confused:
  19. mirx Banned

I don't know of any connection beween fortune and rain on one's wedding day, not future fortune anyways; if anything, it may be associated with bad luck because it ruins the hairdoes and dresses if the ceremony is in the open.

Apart from that I haven't heard anything related to bad luck in México.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  20. Julz Senior Member

From what I understand, rain symbolizes washing away the past and starting fresh - so rain on a wedding day means that many changes will happen. Neither good nor bad.
  21. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    Outsider has asked how this is seen in our cultures - is washing away the past an Australian perception?
  22. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Here in Argentina, rain on a wedding day implies a good omen.
    Rain is considered "Holy water", in this specific case, so it would be a blessing for the couple.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  23. bb008

bb008 Senior Member

Caracas - Venezuela

Lo que quiero decir que si en algún momento de la vida, cualquier persona comió directamente comida de una olla, en vez de service en un plato, esa persona cuando se casé, ese día va a llover, no se el origen de esa creencia popular pero eso es lo que dicen.
  24. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I am not aware of any such custom in Polish culture. If anything, it could be taken a something which spoils hairdos, dresses, etc.
    Now this is true about Poland, the couple usually throw behind the glasses aftter emptying them before the wedding reception begins.

25. alinapopi Senior Member

We have the same superstition in Romania. (O si bebes directamente del cubo de agua). There we say that if it rains the wedding's day, the new marriage will have a lot of money.
  26. alinapopi Senior Member

I forgot to tell you that, although it doesn't rain the wedding' day, water is very important in a traditional weding in Romania: old women bring bins full of water when the couple goes back from church, for example, and everybody has to put some money in the bin, this brings good luck. And there's a lot of other traditional and old customs where water is the main element.
  27. blue_jewel

blue_jewel Senior Member

In our country, a rain on your wedding day or any special occasions entails good luck, that means blessings are pouring on your wedding day and the rest of your marriage life.