1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Rainier or more rainy?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Guiguitte, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Guiguitte Senior Member

Normandy, France
    France, French
    Hi everybody!

I need the help of native speakers here please.

I work on weather reports at the moment with my pupils and we're studying comparison.

When dealing with adjectives that end in -y, I know that the comparative is in -IER.
    Ex = happy = he's happier than his brother.

Still, with adjectives related to the weather, i.e. adjectives formed like this : noun + -y = adjective,
    I find it hard to write them in -IER. But yet again funnier exists!

If sunnier and cloudier sound fine, stormier, windier.... just sound wrong to me. But again I'm French so could you please tell me how you feel about this?

I googled both forms but since you find everything on Google, I found rainier and more rainy...

I just want to make sure I can explain them tomorrow. I'd never use this myself, I'd find another way to say it, but the kids always find the one thing that makes the grammar rule weird! :D

Thanks a lot.
    Virginie

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    "Rainier" sounds fine, Virginie. :) As you've noted, weather reporters don't hesitate to use comparatives with adjectives about the weather. All are common: sunnier, rainier, cloudier, snowier, etc.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. Guiguitte Senior Member

Normandy, France
    France, French
    Owlman, Thank you!
    Many thanks from France!

4. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    I agree it sounds strange. We have no definite rule for two-syllable words, just common patterns based on the second syllable. So 'happier' is fine, and by that example 'sunnier' and 'rainier' should be too, but they do look strange. However, I wouldn't say that 'more sunny' is better than 'sunnier'. Both can be used, and this is really a grey area for English.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Here in my part of the US, weather forecasters might use either comparative form; both seem equally natural. "It's going to be sunnier tomorrow." "It was rainy today, and it will be even more rainy tomorrow."