1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. tulipán

tulipán Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    English - USA
    context:
    [FONT=&quot]"La concepción del interés general comunitario se ha desarrollado más adelante, aunque al inicio el temor de los Estados miembros de perder responsabilidades y las dificultades para encontrar un concepto en común, hayan ralentizado su afirmación."
    [/FONT]​
    my translation:
    [FONT=&quot]"The conception of the general community interest has further developed itself, although [/FONT][FONT=&quot]member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]states initially feared the loss of responsibilities and the difficulties in finding a common concept, they have slowed their affirmation."
    [/FONT]​
    This doesn't make much sense to me in English or Spanish (the text is a bit over my head). Can anyone confirm the last part for me?

Thanks much before hand! -Tulip

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    It might not be very grammatical in English, but I hope you'll catch the idea:
    "The conception (?) of the general community interest was further developed, although at the beggining its affirmation has been slowed by [FONT=&quot]the fear of the member States of losing responsabilities and by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the difficulties in finding a common concept".[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"Fear" and "difficulties" are the subject for "slowed their affirmation". [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I see that you have included the word "conception" in your text, but there is not such a word in the Spanish sentence. As the sentence beggins "la del" there must be a word in the previous sentence, to which that "la del " refers to. Maybe "idea"?[/FONT]
    So "su afirmación" may match that missing word or "el interés general comunitario".

3. tulipán

tulipán Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    English - USA
    Ahh, thank you, manicha. This has helped me understand the sentence better. I have decided to use:

" The conception of the general community interest has further developed itself, although at the beginning its affirmation was slowed by member States’ fear of losing responsibilities and by the difficulties in finding a common concept."

Thank you for pointing out my error. I edited the origional sentence to include conception.

4. pilipina Senior Member

NW United States
    English & filipino dialect
    "slowed" sound ok in formal writings, but "slowed down" sounds nearly just as formal, and is used more in colloquial speech, as well