Ramadan kareem/mubarak

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Vitaminka, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Vitaminka New Member

Sweden/Stockholm
    Russian,Estonian
    Hi :)

Ramadan is soon,how gradulate in Ramadan muslim people,what I can write shortly and nice?
    Jordan-Palestinian arabic (just in case)!

Moderator note:
    This thread is formed from merging 3 different threads about the same topic. Please, everyone, remember to search the dictionary and the froum before opening a thread so as to avoid repetitions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  2. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    I guess you mean "congratulate" :)

The most common thing to say is: رمضان مبارك (Ramadhaan mubaarak)

3. Vitaminka New Member

Sweden/Stockholm
    Russian,Estonian
    I`m so thankful for all the help!:)

4. Nikola Senior Member

English
    Ramadan Kareem/Mubarak to my forum friends.
    I think mubarak is more common in non-Arabic countries, which is more common in Arabic countries or are they used with the same frequency?

5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    My impression as a non-Moslem is that Palestinians tend to say "kareem" with more frequency.

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Thanks, Nikola :)
    Yes, in Egypt we say Ramadan Kareem. I only first reard Mubarak online, and I thought it's used in other Arab countries. Maybe other forum members can tell us which expression is used in their respective countries.

7. Zeidan Senior Member

Arabic
    Thank you Nikola,
    Here in Jordan we use both. Kareem is more popular but Mubarak at the same time is being used more and more, especially on SMS.

8. muhammad.chehab New Member

Lebanon Lebanese Arabic
    Living in the southeast Asian region (Singapur). I would say that Muslims here use Mubarak more often than Kareem. In fact, I've never actually seen any posters/banners that writes Ramadan Kareem. Usually, they'll write Ramadan al Mubarak.

9. kifaru Senior Member

English
    What would the typical response be to someone who said this?
    I have head:
    Speaker 1- Ramadan Mubarak!
    Speaker 2- Ramadan Kareem!

and

Speaker 1- Ramadan Kareem!
    Speaker 2- Allahu Akram!
    followed by Speaker 1 saying some thing I can't quite catch except for the word feek.

10. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    This is what I have heard in Oman and Yemen:
    A .bshahr ramadhan allah yibarak fik (fikum)
    b. barak allah fik (fikum)
    a.Ramadhan karem
    b. jamee3an
    b. mabruukeen
    a. 3asa allah yhaneena wa yhaneekum
    b.jamee3an insh3’allah
    a. kul 3am wa inta bikhair
    b.kul sana wa inta bikhair

11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hello Kifaru,

I think these expressions vary from a country to another, so you'd need to tell us where you heard the expression you're asking about.

In Egypt, we greet each others for Ramadan by saying:
    Speaker 1- Ramadan Kareem! رمضان كريم
    Speaker 2- Allahu Akram! الله أكرم

Or:
    Speaker 1- koll(e) sana wenta tayyeb (to a male, and varies according to gender and number) كل سنة وانت طيب
    Speaker 2- wenta tayyeb (or: wenta tayyeb we beSSe77a we-'salaama) وانت طيب/ وانت طيب وبالصحة والسلامة

12. Nikola Senior Member

English
    Shokran ya nas.

13. atlantis1354 Senior Member

...anz
    tro/Fr.
    Hi, everybody
    Can you tell me what "Ramadan karim" means? When do you say that?
    will you translate it to English?
    Thanks.

14. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    The literal translation is " Ramadan is generous" and it means that Ramadan is full of good and blessings.
    We say it in Ramadan month (Ramadan is 9th month of the Muslim calendar) and it is used to wish happiness during the start of the holy month of Ramadan.

"Happy Ramadan" :)

15. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    It is a greeting used during the month of Ramadan, and it's standard response is "Allahu Akram" which means "God is even more generous".

16. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    You can also find an overview about Ramadan in this link (here ) from a previous post by Chirine .

17. atlantis1354 Senior Member

...anz
    tro/Fr.
    Thank you
    So, I understand it's a way of greeting and wishing health? or happiness in Ramadan.
    So in Ramadan, the first sentence you usually say to your friends/ relatives when you see them is "Ramadan karim". Am I right?
    Thanks again.
    Add: Please also tell that Ramadan mobarak is Arabic or no?​

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  18. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    Yes, It is the way of greeting and wishing health, happiness ,blessings and good in Ramadan.
    The first sentence people usually say to their friends/ relatives is السلام عليكم peace be upon you.It may be the 1st sentence after the greeting السلام عليكم is Ramadan Karim رمضان كريم.
    Yes, It is Arabic رمضان مبارك and it means a blessed Ramadan.

19. alinapopi Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Is Ramadan moubarik ok to wish a good Ramadan to muslims? I would like some polite expressions, something more elaborated, but I don't speak and understand Arabic.

Thank you in advance for your help.

20. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    The most common phrase is "Ramadaan kariim," literally "Ramadan is generous."

The reply is "Allahu akram," literally "God is more/most generous."

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  21. alinapopi Senior Member

Thank you very much!!

22. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    You're welcome.

23. Sidjanga Senior Member

German;southern tendencies
    Hi,
    Another question:

Where - in a letter or e-mail, would you preferably write رمضان كريم ?

As an opening greeting, or to end the letter/e-mail? (I suppose it's the latter, but just to make sure)

24. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Hi,

Actually it is part of the opening greeting just after السلام عليكم
    , as azeid explained:

This is how we do it.

25. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    رمضان كريم يا جماعة - احنا لسا بنتسحر هنا
    But does كريم really just mean 'generous' here? Is there no better translation :D

26. relates New Member

Seattle, WA
    English
    How could you wish a happy Ramadhan to a group of people? If رمضان مبارك means "A blessed Ramadhan," could you say "رمضان مبارك لك\لكم\لك وعائلتك" (etc)?

27. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    We say رمضان مبارك or رمضان كربم or مبارك عليكم الشهر or the generic yearly greetings (كل عام وأنتم بخير)

28. tr463 Senior Member

تكساس
    English
    Interesting note-

One of my teachers in Alexandria told me that people have stopped using "mubarak" for obvious reasons... :p

29. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Actually we only started using رمضان مبارك and عيد مبارك in the few the last years. These always felt "foreign" to me. We always said رمضان كريم and عيد سعيد. :)

30. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    Don't Egyptians pretty much exclusively say كل سنة وأنت طيب؟

I've only ever noticed Egyptians saying كل عام وأنتم بخير to me, because they know I am not an Egyptian, and therefore use the more generic phrase, thinking I'm more likely to know/prefer it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  31. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    كل عام وانتم بخير is also used by some (many?) Egyptians, pronounced kolle3am wentom bekheer. (i.e. not in a FuS7a way).

32. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    Well I think they think they're pronouncing it in a FuS7a way, but obviously it will have the distinctive Egyptian accent applied to it.

33. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Frankly most people would have no idea how to say it properly in FusHa, and don't actively think about crossing the line between fusHa and dialect and even borrowings; it all just blends subconsciously.

I'm working with some people from the levant and noticed they say بركات رمضان as a greeting.

34. 5zama New Member

Hijaz
    here in jeddah we say kul 3am w antm be'7eer كل عام و أنتم بخير
    w antm be'7eer
    Or
    and sh8r mobark in sha2 Allah . شهر مبارك إن شاء الله
    3lyna w 3lykum علينا وعليكم

التهنة بقول رمضان كريم , في الحقيقة ليست دقيقية فالكريم هو الله وليس الشهر
    الا إن كان قصد القائل رمضان ثمين أو نفيس على غرار حجر كريم لكنها انتشرت في كثير من البدان العربية واعتقد أنها مقتبسة من الشعب المصري
    وتقبل تحيتي

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  35. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    هذا غير صحيح. رمضان كريم والله أكرم الكرماء. المشكلة هي فهمنا نحن للكريم، في العاميّة حين نقول كريم نعني جواد ولكن الكريم غير ذلك - حسب لسان العرب، الكريم هوا لجامع لأنواع الخير والشرف والفضائل. الكرم ضد اللؤم وليس ضد البخل والكرم اسم جامع لكل ما يُحْمَد

ويطلق الكريم على العاقل وغير العاقل، على الجامد والمتحرك ويقصد به أنه من أخير وأفضل وأشرف نوعه فالحجر قد يكون كريم وكذلك الحصان والطعام والعيشة وغيره

لا أدري لماذا تظن أن تعبير رمضان كريم مصريّ، لا أرى سببا يمنع أن يكون قد نشأ في مكان آخر أو نشأ في نفس الوقت في معظم الدول العربية - فهل "رمضان مبارك" مقتبس من الشعب الهندي أو الباكستاني مثلا؟

36. traws New Member

English
    Hi,

I had an interview with a UAE national, and am sending up a thank you note via email.

Ramadan is starting there in a few days, and I wanted to say... Kindest regards and Ramadan Kareem.

Would that be seen as a bad move typing this, or totally acceptable? It's a middle-management role, but we had a very lovely informal chat.

Thanks for your help!
    [Moderator's Note: Merged with a previous thread]

37. Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Moroccan Arabic
    Hello,

I know nothing about this UAE national but from my experience, it never hurted anyone to hear this, it's even the opposite. I think your attention will please to him/her :).

38. SolarGirl90

SolarGirl90 Junior Member

Arabic
    It's totally fine and polite indeed :)