1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Rare and awkward contractions: oughtn't

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JLanguage, Jun 10, 2005.

1. JLanguage Senior Member

Georgia, US
    USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    "'As you haven't asked my opinion, perhaps I oughtn't give it,'"... (Lost Horizon, P43)

I can't even pronounce it. Have any of you guys ever used it or heard someone use it?

Thanks,
    -Jonathan.

2. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Not in person - only in writing. I think "ought" is used less frequently in AE than in BE (and the negative seems to be quite rare). It has been almost entirely replaced by "should."

3. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    I do think it's less common now. I've heard it most often in fixed expressions (You ought to be ashamed, He ought not do that, We ought to go), primarily in the South (U.S.) or as a noun meaning zero (The score is ought for ought = 0 to 0).

4. suzzzenn Senior Member

New York
    USA English
  5. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    You could, but you don't want to.

Click here in order to hear someone use it. ;)

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Well! I am amazed!! Ought is in routine, regular, daily use in my world BUT NEVER AS A NOUN MEANING ZERO (shouting is deliberate).
    For the noun meaning zero, the word is nought. Pronunciation - argghh why can't I do phonetics - but speaking normally, put an "n" in front of however you pronounce "ought".
    Colloquially, here, "nout" ("n" in front of however you pronounce "out") means nothing.
    A score of 0-0 is "nil-all".

7. JohninVirginia Senior Member

USA/ English
    I remember seeing an old quote from a British soccer coach at Someplace, who said, "For the longest time after I arrived here, I thought the team's name was "Someplace Nil !":)

8. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    I thought "aught" was the spelling used to mean nothing or zero.

9. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
  10. mjscott Senior Member

The first time I heard aught/ought used to mean ZERO was in ARGENTINA!

Aught was taught
    And used a lot
    For what Irish still
    Refer to as nil.

It’s what’s in your wallet
    After pickpockets filch—
    Known in AE as zero, zip,
    Zilly-zally, zilch!

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    WRONG
    Well, wrong in that ought and aught are also used.
    Sincere apologies to la grive solitaire and DesertCat.

12. Ridvan New Member

Zimbabwe, English
    One of those classic English words that borders on archaic ...

13. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    I would never use this word, but I think it's because I'm American. I would have no trouble pronouncing it though. I've heard it, and I think I've heard it quite a bit, probably listening to book recordings of books from the UK.

And I would say:

"I ought to do it."

I think that oughtn't is not particularly rare in BE, although it MAY be a bit formal. If you Google it, you will find many hits.

Gaer

14. danzomicrobo Junior Member

U.S./English
    In the South (US), the word ought is used. Although I have only seen it in writing once and it seemed so strange that I wanted to change the word. It is more commonly spoken, and where I come from, it would be phrased as oughta or awwda (ought to).

I have never heard oughtn't spoken or used in writing in AE.

15. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    You right: I've herad "oughta" frequently. Is it only a southern thing? I don't know. :)

Gaer

16. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    To Panjandrum: Is "oughtn't" in routine, regular, daily use, too?
    To everyone: Is it only southern thing in AmEn?
    To Aussies: What about it in AuEn?

17. Song Sprite Senior Member

English, Canada
    I use it! I use it!

But then, I take delight in my abnormality. My whole family talks like books. It's no harder to say than any other word. It's pronounced "awtunt".

18. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Is it CaEn thing or personal thing?

19. Song Sprite Senior Member

English, Canada
    More a personal thing :) Well... actually more of a subculture thing. "Geeks, nerds, and band kids" often take pleasure in using slightly antiquated/bookish English.

20. jabogitlu Senior Member

USA-English
    OP: You're from Georgia and you don't use OUGHTN'T??? What is the Southern World coming to!

I say 'You oughta do that' or 'We ought not do that' (or 'We oughtn'ta do that' sometimes). I'm from TN, btw.

21. Vikorr Senior Member

Australia, English
    In Australia :

Aught is like...I know of the word, but I think I might have heard it just once or twice when I was a child (about 30 years or so ago)...maybe I read it in a book somewhere, or so it on some pirate movie (seeing as that's what it reminds me of for some reason)

Ought (which has the same pronunciation as 'aught') is more 'common', in that it's understood, and used in a few set phrases, but it's still an uncommon enough word.

Oughtn't probably falls into the same category as 'Aught'.

22. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Thanks!
    Can we ask any of you to write up as many as possible those set phrases where "ought" "ought to" or "oughtn't" typically appear?

23. jabogitlu Senior Member

USA-English
    Hmm, well, there are few set phrases; indeed, I can think of none. But, I can provide examples for each. I'm sure others will, too. :D

We ought to visit our grandparents. (We should.)
    You oughtn't speak like that! (You shouldn't)
    -- This one can also be said "You ought not speak like that," though this usage is probably more colloquial/regional/rural.

By the way, "ought" isn't really used without "to" after it. The verb itself could even be considered "to ought to."

24. mplsray Senior Member

Curiously, The Century Dictionary of 1895 has only the spelling ought for the "zero" sense of the word, quoting it used in Martin Chuzzlewit by Dickens. Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, on the other hand, identifies ought, as an "archaic variant of AUGHT."

25. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    Hey - can we separate aught from ought here please?

Aught is the opposite of naught: both are relatively archaic in BE. Aught means something, naught means nothing. Don't use them, non-natives - they're out of date.

Back to our muttons. The original post asks 'Have any of you guys ever used or heard someone use oughtn't'? In this part of BE, oughtn't is absolutely standard and heard all the time.

'She oughtn't to do that.' 'Oughtn't you to be at the dentist?' etc.

26. gemzill

gemzill New Member

Hong Kong
    Come From: Britain/Hong Kong, Speak: English
    I use ought and oughtn't, they're common words for me, mostly everyone I know uses ought and oughtn't...but some people do, some don't. It doesn't matter - ought to/should.

27. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    The posts about aught and naught have been moved to a special thread of their own:
    Aught and naught

28. ziu Senior Member

English UK
    "Oughtn't" is used where I live too, but your sentences sound strange to me because of the "to".
    I would say "She oughtn't do that" and "Oughtn't you be at the dentist?".
    Don't know if it's correct or not, but there you go.

29. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Good question, winklepicker! In AE, you'll hear "ought" all the time, but I don't think I've ever heard "oughtn't." Even at the end of a sentence like "She ought to be home by now" the tag will not be "oughtn't she?" but "shouldn't she"! Sometimes I think we Yanks have lost some of the best bits of BE!

30. mplsray Senior Member

It sounds like something one would find in some dialects of American English, particularly Appalachian English. I did some searching via Google and came up with the fact that oughtn't is used a couple of times in Travelin' Man, sung by Dolly Parton (some of the Web pages spelled it oughtnt).

A bit more convincing, however, is its use in a tale related by Jim Comstock, editor of The West Virginia Hillbilly, in a conversation which can be seen here.

31. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    Definitely! I had at least one school teacher use it, but it should, as they used it, have 'to' there - "you oughtn't to chew gum in assembly"...

Vicky

32. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    I have what linguists call a "mixed dialect" as I'm a Kentuckian, but my mother was from New England. But I've heard "ought" used both by my mother's family, and in the South - however always in the positive (never "oughtn't which sounds formal and archaic to me - tho' "ought not" would work). "Oughta" is perhaps used more in the South; however I put it in the same category as "gotta" and "gonna" which are widely used.