Rating: has it been adopted?

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Joelline, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    A couple of days ago, as usual, I checked my "Subscribed Threads" folder, and I discovered that one of the threads I had participated was active again. The thread is in the French-English forum and is entitled "EN: that / which". Unlike all the other threads listed, this one showed (next to the thread title) 3 gold stars, and when I passed my cursor over the 3 stars, it read, "Thread rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average."

I've checked several other pages, and this is the only thread that shows any such marking.

Why is this thread different from other threads? Has WR decided to implement a rating system? Can someone explain what is going on?

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hi Joelline,

Looking at the date of the first post, I see it is from the Dark Ages, when threads had arbitrary, subjective ratings applied in a seemingly random fashion by some of the 246 members registered. [ 9th May 2005, 10:06 AM ] I exaggerate, but not by too much. The system was faulty, so the Administrator had the very good sense to turn it off.

3. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Hi Cuchu,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't even check the date of the 1st post--just of the last post (but then, if I had checked the first date, I probably wouldn't have attributed any significance to it!). You're quite right about the ratings system: I hope we never go back to it!

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    What's this new Thread rating thing about, how does it work?

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I assume you're talking about this, Alex?

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Ah, I'd never seen it before and assumed it was new, not REALLY old.

7. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    G'day guys,

I think it's time to rate (by starring, for instance) answers as per users' preferences. I realised a few languages forums on the net use this method so as to improve the quality of answers amongst active members...This may encourage members to pay heed to what they write, improving the quality of WR dictionary at some future date.
    Time is ripe, isn't? :)

Thanks for this window, have a good day...

Another enthusiastic WR member...

8. Sowka

Sowka Walterin der Fäden

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello Sherlockat :)

I don't like such rating systems. When I write an answer, I want to make it the best answer that I can give at that specific moment. I don't need any stars to do that because I'm interested in the topics, and I want to help people as best as I possibly can.

In this, I also bear in mind that it should be useful for future readers of the thread. And that's one of the problems with a rating system: An answer that the starter of a thread finds "not so useful" might be the perfect answer for a later reader. If another answer has been rated "very useful", this later reader might be distracted from "his perfect" answer.

The quality of our forum lies in our seriousness and dedication, and in the fact that all our answers are reviewed by the other participants.

9. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    I'm sure this has been discussed before; only, I can't find the threads back.

Anyway, I agree with Sowka and I think that was also the conclusion of the other thread(s).

10. Sowka

Sowka Walterin der Fäden

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Here is one of the previous threads: Points.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Good evening. :)

As Peter says, this particular topic has been discussed over and over again. This is one of the most instructive threads on the matter: Was this thread useful?. An interesting feature was introduced a few weeks later: Was this thread helpful?. And in this thread you'll find an excellent point made by Cuchuflete; read also these sites administrator's opinion in post #18. :)

12. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    I don't like it either. It sooner become a competition among experts to show ''who knows more than who'' and would drive out those who either are learning or can give a decent but not expert help.