read and write

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, not long ago I opened a similar thread. Do you say read&write or write&read when referring pupils what they learn, etc... Thanks.

English: read & write
    Hungarian: írni-olvasni [write & read]
    Czech: číst a psát [read & write]
  2. AquisM Senior Member

Hong Kong
    In Chinese, we don´t usually refer to learning to read and write specifically, but when we talk about the four basic skills of learning a language, we usually say it in the following order: 聽說讀寫/听说读写 (listening, speaking, reading, writing).
  3. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    In American English (AE) "read & write" sounds much more natural to me than "write & read."

谢谢! Thank you for sharing this. It's very important to be a good listener when you are learning a new language. :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

In Turkish: okuma yazma (reading writing).
  5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

German: lesen und schreiben [read-write]
    Slovene: brati in pisati [read-write]

I'm afraid we are the only write-read nations. :)
  6. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

You're not alone :) As far as I know, Greeks also say it that way:

γραφή και ανάγνωση - writing and reading.
  7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

French: lire et écrire [read&write]
    Italian: leggere e scrivere [read&write]
  8. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese: 読み書きyomikaki(read and write)

I'm not OP but let me allow another question: Do you use an equivalent to "and" between the read and the write?
    We don't use it but conjugate a verb in connection form. (I guess Hungarian works like that, too)

(yom-i, inf. yom-u[to read]; kak-i, inf. kak-u[to write], yomi[connection form]+kaki[nominalizing form, writing])
  9. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Read-write(đọc-viết). It sounds more natural and is easier to say than viết-đọc.
  10. Diamant7

Diamant7 Senior Member

Catalan: llegir i escriure
    Spanish: leer y escribir
  11. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Sometimes when we do need to emphasize on "read and write", we follow the order of “read and write” 讀寫, never "write and read" 寫讀.
    I think this is the natural order of people learning and utilizing any language. It's a little surprise when I learnt Hungarian uses "write and read".
  12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

As you can see we consider it a compound word "Írni-olvasni nem tud." He cannnot "write-read".
    And the derived noun is: írás-olvasás [writing-reading]
    We do not use "and".

I don't think it has anything to do with the process of learning.
    But I think children write first and then read in European schools.(But I am not sure :mad:) Not in China or Japan, right?

And I hope Apmoy will confirm Ralinno's comment. So Hungarian and Greek.
  13. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Really? Don't you need to learn what "apple" refers to, read the flashcard, then copy the word and memorize the spelling?
    Isn't reading and understand other's words easier than writing and expressing by yourself?
    Why the red face?:p
  14. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog has bumasa at magsulat (read and write) but the general form is May Ah lam.
  15. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

I think first we don't know how to read alphabets, we won't be able to write some words that make sense.
  16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: lezen en schrijven...