1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Realise/ realize

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Zee Owl, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Zee Owl

Zee Owl New Member

Canada
    English - Singapore
    Quote: "Now we all realise, of course, what a briefcase is for."

Is 'realise' (as opposed to 'realize') only used in Britain or is it the American spelling also?

2. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Typically, in AE one would see the "ze" spelling for this type of word. That's not to say "se" doesn't show up from time to time, but generally in articles and/or other papers written by BE natives.

By the way, Welcome to the Forums! :)

3. Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    I spell “realize”, “chastize”, “baptize”, etc. Of course, I change for “televise”, “supervise”, etc.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am a consistent -ise speller.
    It's so much easier.
    I don't have to remember any exceptions.

5. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    Are there CE native speakers here? I've been told that while CE adopts the convention used in BE in matters such as "or" for "labor", it adopts "yze" and "ize" for "analyze" and "realize". Does anyone know for sure?

Edit: I just remembered this great site on the differences among British, Canadian and American English. All our questions answered, at least according to that webmaster's views.

6. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Amazing! As an American I of course have the -ize preference-- but you've managed to cite two -ize words that don't work for me-- baptise and chastise.

I'm trying to discern a rule here, and I think it has to do with the noun forms of these verbs. If they take -ization the verb is spelled -ize. But the noun forms of -ise verbs take -ism or -ision.

Well, I've come up with enough examples to confuse myself now. I wonder how well this "rule" holds up.

7. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I use -ise in preference to -ize simply because of the sound and the shape.
    Zed is angular and harsh in Australian. It is nothing like the soft Zee of U.S. America.

8. Nala Senior Member

Montreal
    French, Canada

Being Canadian, I can tell you that I write "se" and not "ze" however I just checked in Word 2003 using Canadian English and this is what I found out:

I can write realise and realize, baptise and baptize, televise and televize but can only write chastise and supervise.

Nala

9. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    What convention do NZ and SA speakers adopt ?

10. Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    Hi Fox,

The rule I follow is to distinguish between those words which have the Greek derived "ize" ending and all the rest. My list of "ise" words is: apprise, comprise, despise, devise, disguise, enterprise, improvise, supervise, surprise and surmise. Having said that, since there is no academie anglais, I think it's up to anyone to decide how they want to spell these words.

11. xpoferens New Member

South Africa - English
    Im from south africa and I use -ise for everything.

12. twinprime New Member

English
    I just use whatever the computer allows me to. When I was living in the US and work for US clients (for a very long time, mind you) it's all -ize such as "realize" and "criticize" but now I have to produce documents for UK based clients I switch the language in MS Word to English - UK and it will wiggly-red-underline "realize" and accept "realise."

Another case was when my UK-issued blackberry change "traveled" to "travelled" I thought something was wrong with it. No one spell "travelled" in the US!

Just use your spellchecker. :)

13. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)

This is correct. Centre will remain as in BE in Canada (no doubt the fact that it is centre in French too also plays a role), but organization will always be spelled with a zed (as they say).

I am, unlike Panj, a consistent -ize speller, as were most BE speakers, I believe, before the 1940s. I can't see quite why we should imitate the French in this matter, and from a purely aesthetic point of view, I much prefer -ize where possible.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is a very long thread on this topic: -ise and -ize endings in UK and US English

The problem for those who would like to be consistent -ize spellers is that there are some words that are standard -ise words even amongst -ize users.
    There is a post in that thread where Aupick has listed these. I copy the list here for information.
    The problem is that -ize users have to be aware of these - and remember them.

advertise
    comprise
    devise
    franchise
    revise
    advise
    compromise
    enterprise
    improvise
    supervise
    apprise
    demise