1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Recently I accompanied my parents, both have slight health probelms, on a trip.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Margaret44, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Margaret44 Junior Member

England
    I am a new member and hope I am doing this posting correctly. I am working on a translation and am stuck as to how to translate the phrase "both have slight health problems" in the context of this sentence. My efforts so far are:
    "Ricientement hicimos un recorrido por suramericayo yo y mis padres. Mis padres tienen problemas de salud"

Thank you

2. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Literally it would be:
    Recientemente acompañé a mis padres, ambos tienen leves problemas de salud, en un viaje.

I have a Russian friend that once told me we Spanish are lucky to learn English because both languages were very similar, maybe she's not very wrong.

3. Margaret44 Junior Member

England
    Thank you Juandiego. Yes maybe Spanish and English are very similar literally, but I always get confused with word order in Spanish and imagine that it somehow should be changed or different from English.

4. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Right, there's a lot of differences for sure, as the word order you mentioned. It was somehow a joke because in that sentence a literal translation was possible.

And about the order, although perfectly possible in Spanish too, it sounds me some weird that the both have slight health problems clause, were between I accompanied my parents and on a trip.

5. Margaret44 Junior Member

England
    You are absolutely right. If I were writing that sentence I would prefer something such as "Recently I accompanied my parents, who have slight health problems, on a trip through South America". That sounds more "English" to me and the punctuation is important too, so you make the "who have slight health problems" as a subordinate clause.

So is it possible to say in Spanish "Recientemente acompañe a mis padres, que tienen leves problemas de salud, en un viaje por Suramérica".

6. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    That's simply perfect.