1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

recipient

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Welho, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Welho

Welho Junior Member

french
    [FONT=&quot]Hi,

Quick question. The aid data contains a large number of zero because all donors' countries do not give aid to all recipients’ countries. [/FONT] Does this mean countries that are recipients or countries that belong to the recipients?

Thanks in advance.

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    This sentence seems to have several errors. Where did you find it?

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    There is no such thing as a quick question - where did you find your example.

4. Welho

Welho Junior Member

french
    I wrote it

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    :eek: This means countries that are recipients.

Pay attention to the parts in red:
    The aid data contains a large number of zero because all donors' countries do not give aid to all recipients’ countries.

6. Welho

Welho Junior Member

french
    My correction: the aid data contain a large number of zeros because all donor' countries do not give aid to all recipient's countries.

7. Sparky Malarky Senior Member

Indiana
    English - US
    My correction to this correction:
    The aid data contain a large number of zeros because not all donor's countries give aid to all recipient's countries. [Donors in one country give aid to people in another country.]
    OR
    ....not all donor countries give aid to all recipient countries. [One country gives aid to another country.]

8. Welho

Welho Junior Member

french
    Thank you Sparky

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    my concern was about donors' countries and recipients’ countries.

As there was no context, I assumed that we are talking about donor countries and recipient countries - i.e. where one country donates at national level and the other receives at national level.

In this case donor countries and recipient countries are the terms

It is possible that your plural genitives are correct, if you mean

.. because all [the countries to which the individual donors belong] do not give aid to [all the countries to which the individual recipients belong.]

10. Welho

Welho Junior Member

french
    Hi PaulQ,

Your first assumption was correct. I meant a country (donor) that gives another country (recipient) financial support of any kind.

Thanks for your help.