1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Recognise/Recognize, realise/realize (-ise / -ize)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Lourdes Luna, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Lourdes Luna

Lourdes Luna Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish México
    Hello everybody,

Which one is the correct? or which one is the most common?
    recognise or recognize

Can I indistinctly use both?

Thanks in advance!

Lulú

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Recognize. --> American spelling, but accepted elsewhere.
    Recognise. --> British spelling, used throughout the Commonwealth, but frowned upon in the U.S.

3. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Good point!:thumbsup:

4. Lourdes Luna

Lourdes Luna Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish México
    Thank you Outsider

It's very complete your explanation. I already understood.

Saludos

5. Joby91467 Junior Member

English, Maryland, USA
    I would say if you're writing/speaking to Americans, use "recognize".

6. caballosgirl Senior Member

la universidad
    English, USA
    yep, recognize to Americans, recognise to a Brit.

saludos :)

7. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    I know that a lot of European countries use the British "recognise". For example, if you view the Spanish embassy's site in English, they spell it "recognise".

:) Saludos

8. ksequen

ksequen Senior Member

Guatemala
    Guatemala, Spanish
    Hi there. I asked the same question about the word "apologize" / "apologise". I found out that both were correct. Brittish English uses -ise endings, while American English uses -ize endings.

So, which is more common, "recognise" or "recognize" ? It all depends if you're on Europe or in America. ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Recognise is not used in Canada. In this case, we do as the Americans. But we do have formal preferences for the British spelling in other situations, e.g. colour as opposed to color.

10. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina (somewhere in the planet Urban)
    It must be the same as the case with realise and realize

11. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Yes. On the other hand, we write advertise, even though advertize is given as an alternative in American dictionaries.

12. PixieLady Junior Member

England
    English, Britain
    If you're learning English use the 'ise' ending as it is considered grammatically correct in English, whereas the American ending is often frowned upon by the English and learners of English.

13. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    I'm sorry but I don't think that is good advice. It may be frowned upon by the English, but not by all speakers of English.

As with many other matters, geography plays a role!

Cheers!

14. ksequen

ksequen Senior Member

Guatemala
    Guatemala, Spanish
    I agree with Geostan. To those who live on this side of the world (America), it is very odd -and "incorrect"- to use the -ise endings. I've been in touch with a group of British lately, and I'm finally getting used to reading this kind of spelling. I even try to write like that 'for them'. But I still like the -ize spelling.

Mods Note
    Comment spam is not welcome in these forums. Do not post 'come to my site' links.

15. PixieLady Junior Member

England
    English, Britain
    I know, and that I why is put 'often' frowned upon. I didn't genrealise to the extent of all English. Nonetheless, if you are using English English, and not American or Candadian English you should use the 'ise' ending otherwise it will be gramatically incorrect.

16. trevorb Senior Member

York, England
    UK: English
    As a matter of fact, the preferred spelling in the Oxford English dictionary (and most other British dictionaries) is -ize, which recognizes it's greek origins. The -ise spelling is a French influence. It is equally correct in British English (and seems to be generally prefered by the media) but it looks like some (British) academics (and presumably other speakers) prefer the older etymology.

However, be aware that some words of genuinely French origin actually require the -ise ending - at least in Britain. You'll have to check you're dictionaries to know which, I'm afraid!

17. trevorb Senior Member

York, England
    UK: English
  18. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Very interesting posts, Trevor.

I always use -ise; but have on occasion been criticised by (1) Americans (2) Canadians and (3) Brits for doing so:eek:. No Australian has commented as yet on my spelling, but I watch this space....

I still think -ise is the "safest" spelling for European Spanish speakers to learn; though learners on the other side of the Atlantic are undoubtedly better advised to use -ize.

¡Saludos!

Loob

19. Redline2200

Redline2200 Senior Member

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    I do not think that anyone should criticize anyone for their spelling in the case of the "ise" and "ize" endings. Sure, the latter is more common in the US and the former more common in the UK, but we both know that the other country writes the endings differently.
    It's not like anyone would really make a big deal out of it (or maybe better said "It's not like anyone should really make a big deal out of it). Neither is correct and neither is incorrect, it is just a simple matter of where you are, and even then, if you use the 'non-standard' one for the country you are in, it's not like the people won't understand you!

You say "tomato" I say "tomato" let's call the whole thing off!
    (After looking at that written, it appears that little phrase doesn't have the same meaning written as it does spoken haha)

Does anyone know what they use in the land down under?? I would be curious, although I imagine they align themselves with the British.

20. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Well said, brother!

Loob

21. parknmart

parknmart Senior Member

Barceloca
    English USA/UK
    I would just like to add, the sound of both is the same but it sounds like the English ''z'' pronunciation.

22. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Well, realistically speaking, it's better for European learners to learn the British way...since Britain is so close!

It's odd for me to see it spelled "recognise," since of course the American English standard "recognize" is not frowned upon at all.

23. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    It depends. Spanish and Portuguese spelling, for example, is closer to the American one (recognize, realizar). For French speakers, the British spelling may be easier (recognise, réaliser).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  24. nurifran Senior Member

Barcelona, Catalonia
    Catalan-Barcelona & Spanish-Spain
    Arg!!!! what a mess!!!
    What do I write if I am writing a research paper for a German teacher??????
    I'm very surprised, and a little bitt stressed! In catalan or spanish things are correct or not, but not correct in Barcelona and incorrect in Valencia hahahaa...
    sniff...

25. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Well, you could either ask the teacher which (s)he prefers - or simply opt for "recognize".

As far as I know, nobody thinks the "-ize" ending is incorrect - even those of us who don't use it:)

26. Ynez Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    If someone has a preference, or they consider one form is better because it is the one generally used in their country, they may pay attention to all this. But as long as both spellings are in dictionaries (and they are) nobody should say one of them is incorrect.

I probably should pay more attention and try to keep a homogeneous use when writing, but the truth is that I never think of all this. :) Even if my word processor underlines some z/s word in red, I won't usually change it.

27. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Interesting! We write "advertise" here, too. In fact, I've never seen "advertize" nor ever been taught that it's an alternative spelling.

28. VivaReggaeton88

VivaReggaeton88 Senior Member

Santa Ana, Costa Rica / New York, NY
    US/EEUU; English/Inglés
    I've never heard of 'advertize' either. Firefox underlines it as wrong though ;)

29. acme_54 Junior Member

Valencia, Spain
    English
    I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but as a UK English speaker I'd like to note that whereas I don't mind using the "z" form in words like "digitalization" or "parametrize", I find that "advertize" or "recognize" stick in my craw, simply because I don't like the look of them. My American friend feels the same way about my "ise/isation" endings so in the end we have to agree to differ. I think the best option is to always write for your target audience.

30. bblightnin New Member

English
    Both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries list -ize, though Cambridge note that -ise is the usual UK spelling. I have heard that it rather depends on which university you prefer. There is also the Oxford 'and' which allows a comma before it for clarity. Cambridge doesn't recognisze this...

31. dawdaw New Member

Dutch - Belgium
    A little late but just for info:
    - It clearly does not really matter but: ALWAYS BE CONSISTENT. Once you use British (American) spelling in whatever way, using the opposite in the same text later-on is actually wrong (or at least really ugly).
    -If you really want to do "the right thing", wikipedia helps (thanks for the link, since I'm a new member I am not allowed to post it, the wikipedia page is called "American and British english spelling differences"), direct link available in above posts.

Quoting above page:

-Worldwide, -ize endings prevail in scientific writing and are commonly used by many international organizations ...

-The spelling -ise is more commonly used in UK mass media and newspapers, (...) , -izeis used in some British-based academic publications ...

-American spelling, the -ize spelling is often incorrectly seen in the UK as an Americanism. The dominant British English usage of -ise is preferred by Cambridge University Press. The minority British English usage of -ize is known as Oxford spelling and is used in publications of the Oxford University Press, most notably the Oxford English Dictionary.

- ... the -ise form is preferred in Australian English at a ratio of about 3:1 ... .

-The European Union switched from -ize to -ise some years ago in its English language publications ...

So there it is :)

32. PhilOfPerth New Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australian
    In Australia, we generally use the English spelling (recognize) but in recent years there has been an increase in the use of American spelling for this and other words, like "color". Some of these changes have come as a result of American (or American-influenced) computer programs (programmes) such as HTML which are written to recognise the word "color" and not "colour" etc.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  33. More od Solzi

More od Solzi Senior Member

Norway
    Macedonian
    Recognize is Oxford spelling.

(Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 2007)

34. fangirl1903 New Member

English - Australia
    As an Australian I can tell you that we have recoginse. If you should ever happen to go to school in Australia, make sure to spell it with an 's' because the teachers get very​ angry...

35. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    Hi fangirl1903 and welcome.

I knew everything was upside down in Australia, but now backwards too!:) (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Very interesting thread, especially that a single letter at the end of relatively few words can generate such a long discussion. But somehow overlooked in all of this I think is that both spellings are pronounced exactly the same, and that pronunciation is "z". The Spanish don't have this sound, the closest would be the "s" in words like desde or mismo.

Anyway, thanks for warning and I'll be sure to stay out of Aussie schools. We Canadians do about half American and half British, and in this case the yanks win. USA! USA!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015