recommend that you send an email

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by jazmína, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jazmína New Member

United Kingdom
    British English
    ¡Hola! Is this a correct translation of "I recommend that you send an email to someone@example.com for more details"?

Recomiendo que le envíes un correo electrónico a alguien@ejemplo.com para más detalles.

I find pronoun order confusing, especially when going "to" someone - is there an easy way to remember how to construct these sentences, other than the 'indirect before direct' rule? :confused:

2. autrex2811

autrex2811 Senior Member

Toluca, México
    Español-castellano, son lo mismo

3. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello.

I'd say: Para más información, te recomiendo que (le) envíes un correo (electrónico) a fulano/te recomiendo que envíes un correo (electrónico) a la siguiente dirección (electrónica/de correo electrónico) ...

Personally I would not use informaciones or informes in this context.

Autrex, do you actually use correo electrónico in Mexico, please? This term is very common in Spain.

Saludos.

4. autrex2811

autrex2811 Senior Member

Toluca, México
    Español-castellano, son lo mismo
    Sí se usa "correo electrónico" o "un correo" igual que "email", yo en lo personal me quedo con el primero y el segundo. En México no todos hablamos pocho, que en la tele así hablen, no significa que todos así hablemos.

5. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    Tengo una pregunta para los hispanohablantes aquí. ¿Se podría decir en el contexto arriba: “POR más detalles”? Temo que si yo hubiera tenido que traducir la oración de Jazmina, me habría equivocado en eso.

6. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    I am afraid so, echinocereus (is that some sort of dinosaur name by the way?).

For more info: para más información. (para obtener más información). Someone said the other day that "para" is used for objectives, goals, and "por" for means, reasons, motives.
    In order to what? In order to obtain more info, so "para".

7. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    I was thinking, Nipnip, of the use of "por" to indicate "object of an errand," as in "Fui a la farmacia por medicina, Fui al supermercado por vegetales, etc. The example above was not an errand, but I wondered if the use might be similar or whether "por" might be used to indicate "para recibir." "Win some, lose some..." :)

Y no, Nipnip, echinocereus no es un dinosaurio... :)

8. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    Ok, in that case you can say. Fui a la ventanilla por información. The thing is that información is not a physical object as such, so it would sound forced here.

9. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    Hello again, Nipnip,

I’ve been thinking about our discussion of the selection of “para” or “por” for Jazmina’s sentence. You mentioned that often the object of “para” is described as representing a goal or an objective. I would add destination. And I agree with you wholeheartedly. The “object of an errand” justification of the use of “por” seems similar at first glance until one examines it more closely. With this use of “por” one does not just go toward an object, one wants to acquire it and even bring it back. Thus we arrive at a use rooted in motivation, not just destination.

If you tell me, Nipnip, that no native speaker of Spanish would choose “por” to use in Jazmina’s sentence, I will believe you. Spanish is your language and you own it, but I would like to play “devil’s advocate” at the moment for “por.” Please consider two similar sentences in Spanish:

Voy PARA el coche. I’m going toward the car, headed toward the car, motion toward a destination, no indication of what will happen when I get there.

Voy POR el coche. I’m going FOR the car, to GET the car, to “FETCH” the car, acquire it and bring it back. Now that car is not just my destination, it’s my motivation. Just as with the examples in my earlier post when I went to the pharmacy to GET medicine and bring it back and I went to the supermarket to GET vegetables and bring them back...

Similarly, couldn’t we say that in Jasmina’s example sentence that the reader is invited to send an email to X email address not just DESTINED for “more details” but with the intent of ACQUIRING them and BRINGING THEM BACK? Motivation and not just destination?

¿Qué piensas, Nipnip?

10. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello, Echinocereous. I know that por vs para can be tough for non-native speakers. Your reasoning is good, but I'm afraid that cases are different. In ir/salir/venir, etc. por (or a por, also correct and used in Spain), por=(ir, etc.) en busca de. I can't see such verbs in the original sentence: Para más información, ... means para obtener (finalidad). Por makes no sense in Jazmína's sentence. Un saludo.

Gracias por tu respuesta, Autrex. La única razón por la que pregunté fue porque me interesaba saber si por allí también se utilizaba de manera habitual, creía que no.

11. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    Look at the last part of my post above. You could say for exmaple:

¿Dónde andabas?
    Fui por información a la oficina de...

This case is somehow different to Jazmína's, where para is the only option.

Your comments and thoughts are accurate.

12. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    Hola, Nipnip,

Gracias POR tu información. Si dices que la oración de Jazmina implica “PARA obtener,” entonces veo bien la diferencia. Y al final de tu poste otra vez (regalando con una mano y quitando con la otra...) me dijiste que a pesar de que mis “comentarios y pensamientos fueran precisos,” me he desviado del camino. Ay de mí... :) Una notita más, si me permites ofrecer: En inglés se debe decir “different FROM.” Muchos anglohablantes dicen “different THAN,” pero lo correcto es “from.” No se dice "different TO." Me parece que las preposiciones, por útiles que sean, pueden ser una molestia grande en cualquier lengua.

Que tengas un buen día. :)

13. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    Unfortunately, Ech. My English is a mixture of Am and Brit, in BE, different to is widely used and accepted as correct. Different than is seen as distinctively American. However, you will see me using all three of them. The same happened the other day when someone pointed that "on" in "in the team" should be used instead. He was obviously American.

Sorry for my bad habit of letting you fall that hard time and time again. But again, languages (you probably know this better than me) don't have rules written in stones. Your comments are brilliant, like I said before, if I had to come up with my own explanation as to why this and why that, I probably would not be as thorough. There are and will always be, however, those little nuances that will tell you when something is right and when something is not.

About Jazmína's examples.

Para más información: is an ellipsis of "in order to get more information", in these cases para is the only option.

Maybe Blasita can help you better here.

14. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello, Nipnip. As I mentioned earlier, I agree with you about this. Para (obtener, etc.), in order to (finalidad). Echinocereous, the fact is that we cannot take a single rule or meaning and make it work in all cases (especially with para vs por), and I'm afraid that's the way it is.:)