referral (in social work)

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, May 14, 2011.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In the United States, a large portion of social services (shelter for the homeless, job training, etc.) are handled by independent (i.e., non-governmental) agencies. Most of these agencies focus on a particular area of need, such as employment or housing. Therefore, a large part of a social worker's job is to provide referrals to other agencies. For example, a social worker at a job training agency might refer a client to an agency that provides free clothing (for job interviews, etc.).

Sometimes, a referral is an official document, such as a letter signed by the social worker making the referral. Often, though, a referral is simply information about another agency: the social worker writes down the phone number / address of another agency, passes it on to the client, and explains what service(s) the other agency provides.

How is referral translated in your language?
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In Finnish it's called lähete (as you probably know) but this word is only used between medical doctors and hospitals, very seldom in other metiers.
  3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch: (door-)verwijzing --- Interestingly verwijzen refers to wijzen, pointing, and seems to be the equivalent of reference and referral.

'Door' reminds me of forwarding: one is sent this way first and is then door-verwezen/ doorgestuurd/ 'through-sent' to somewhere else. (Doorsturen can also mean 'send away' simply, at least here in Flanders)
  4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek I think we call it «παραπεμπτικό» (parapempti'ko n.) or «παραπεμπτικό σημείωμα» (parapempti'ko si'mioma, both neuter) lit. "relegation" or "relegation note" (relegation with the meaning of assigning to a different public agency).
    Adj. «Παραπεμπτικός, -κή, -κό» (parapempti'kos m./parapempti'ci f./parapempti'ko n.) from the Classical verb «παραπέμπω» (pără'pĕmpō)-->to send, arraign, commit, indict (pa'ra-->beside, near, from, against, contrary to + 'pempo-->to send forth, send away, dismiss, send home, discharge).