religious moorings

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Couch Tomato, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    In “The Luminous Fish Effect,” Mary provides some context for Sheldon’s egg-scrambling, fish-glowing, poncho-weaving meltdown: “He gets his temper from his daddy. . . . He’s got my eyes. . . . All that science stuff, that comes from Jesus.” It’s not uncommon for parents to describe their children in this way. Furthermore, given Mary’s religious moorings, it’s not surprising that she believes Sheldon’s most spectacular gift—his keen mind—comes from God.
    (The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Aristotle, Locke – Edited by Dean A. Kowalski)

I don't understand what 'moorings' here means. From the context I take it that it means something along the lines of 'ideas', but I've looked up this word and neither meaning seems to apply here:

Could someone explain what 'moorings' means and which definition applies and why?

Thank you in advance.

2. falunito Senior Member

English - Ireland
    I've never heard it before, if that's any consolation. But from the context - as I'm sure you know - I'm guessing it's similar to "Mary's religious leanings"....

3. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Metaphor.

She is moored to her faith, like a ship to its anchor. Without it, she would drift.

4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I agree. An 'anchor' is a common metaphor in religious discussion. Here's an example:

Jesus Christ Our Anchor – Hebrews 6:19-20
    By Joel Francis, Th.M.
    Hebrews 6:19-20 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast
    and one which enters within the veil,
    http://landbetween.org/Jesus Christ is Our Anchor.pdf

Mary is tied to and supported by her faith.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    Thank you, falunito, Keith Bradford and Biffo.