Remember vs Remind

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Pitt, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    I'd like to know the difference between the verbs remember and remind. I think that these sentences are correct:

I remember the wedding day.
    I remind my wife of the wedding day.

Thanks for helping me!
    Pitt

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Is "y" in the title meant to be there? I see you know a bit of Spanish, did it just slip in? lol.

The differences are, to remmember means the person who will do the remembering, ok bad start.

People ARE REMINDED of things. (it doesn't appear in their head)
    People REMEMBER things. (it does appear in their head)

You (Pitt) can remember things, but I (Alex_Murphy) can only remind you OF SOMETHING..

But I can "remember you" .. that isn't the same as remembering, it's again as I said, me reminding MYSELF of you.
    Is that clear or do you need/want me to explain more?

Let's take your example.. You remember the wedding day, but you REMIND your wife of it.

REMEMBER = Person doing it themselves
    REMIND = Other person making someone else remember.

3. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Thanks for your explication. You'r right, I have confused "and" with "y", because I am learning Spanish.
    Could you give me other examples with remember and remind? :)

4. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Dear Pitt,
    I think you meant to say explanation. Anyway, here goes with a couple more examples for you. I hope it helps. Good Luck!

Did you remember to do your work?
    Do I have to remind you again to do your work?

I remembered my birthday but I forgot to remind you to buy me a present, a very expemsive one!

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Some more examples sure:

Man : Oh my god! I have just remembered I left food in the oven!
    Woman : Oh, THAT REMINDS ME, So did I, I will have to back to mine (my house) and turn it off.

Dog : Hey Cat, when YOU REMINDED ME of that xmas meal we had, I remembered the dinner they gave us at thanksgiving.
    Cat: I remember that! I'm glad YOU REMINDED ME..

I'm just trying to emphasise that, people REMIND OTHERS, yet only REMEMBER, themselves..

Want any more?

6. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Thanks for all the explanations! ;)

7. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    You're always welcome, Pitt

8. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Hello,

I'd like to know if also this sentence is correct:
    You can be thankful / glad that I have reminded you of it.

Thanks for helping me!

9. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    yep, it is

10. Tangarana Junior Member

Italiano
    Hi guys, i was reading this thread and i found myself skeptical about this following phrase that is in the first answer from Alxmrphi. Can you help me to understand the meaning? Thanks.

..."But I can "remember you" .. that isn't the same as remembering, it's again as I said, me reminding MYSELF of you"...

11. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
  12. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I don't see there's anything wrong with alxmrphi's I can remember you, ​Tangarana. Compare: I can remember that painting. I can remember that song. I can remember that night. I can remember you.

He doesn't mean to say I can remind you.

13. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Hello
    And is there no difference, in meaning and usage, between remember and recall? Is recall more literary? Thanks in advance.
    PS Of course I know you wouldn't say 'recall me to your brother'.

14. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    There are a few previous threads discussing the difference between remember and recall, such as this one, from which I quote:

15. Tangarana Junior Member

Italiano
    Ok, i try to be more explicit! I would have waited that the phrase i mentioned before, were:

"But I can "remember you" .. that isn't the same as reminding, it's again as I said, me reminding MYSELF of you"...

I've put the red color on what i wouldn't have said as Alxmrphi's! It's clear that i'm not saying that there's something wrong in what he said because i'm studying and of course there is something that escapes me!

Thanks in advance!

16. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I think I see what you mean now, Tangarana. Yes, that part is confusing. My only comment is that I think it should be read in the light of his previous sentence:
    It seems his message was not revised much before being sent.

17. Tangarana Junior Member

Italiano
    Ok Estjarn!

Be kind, and let me fix some basic rules about this topic:

REMEMBER = Person doing it themselves;

REMIND = Other person making someone else remember.

But of course REMEMBER can be used both for things and people: so i can say "i remember my last year at univesity was so difficult..." , but also "i remember my mother used to cook so delicious dishes".
    Is it correct?
    Can i use REMEMBER for things and people in the same way if i'm remembering by myself? The doubt was only about this fact.

Thanks in advance.

18. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    My answer is, of course, yes. :)

Regardless of what a memory might consists of - a person, a place, a recipe, a period of time - it is still something one remembers.

Perhaps I should point you to some tools with which you can verify this for yourself:

1. Google Books is a useful and fairly reliable source of idiomatic English.

2. The BNC (British English) and COCA (American English) corpora. Test, for example, the string "I remember my *" (without quotation marks) in either corpus. I just checked the COCA results, and among them are: I remember my father, childhood, disappointment, reaction, job, flashlight, encounter...

3. The WordReference advanced search, with which you can check how forum members use words and phrases in their posts. Here's a search for "I remember my" in the EO forum.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  19. sdon Senior Member

ITALIAN
    hi everybody! is it correct to say

this song reminds me of the Vietnam war and its terrible effects on the veterans' lives.

my question is about remind or remember!?

20. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    Yes, that is very much correct.