1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. the reindeer Senior Member

Canterbury, UK
    Spanish-Spain
    Hello everyone!

I wonder about the meaning of a "removal" refering to the process of a funeral. Is it when the body remains uncovered in church?

Thank you

2. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    It usually refers to the act of taking the body away from the place where the death occurs for its preparation for burial or cremation.

3. voxclamantis

voxclamantis New Member

Australia
    English - UK/USA
    Hola,

I think "removal" is the taking/transport of the body from where the person died to the funeral home where the body is prepared for the funeral. I think "viewing" refers to when the body remains uncovered in the church.

Does this make sense in your context?

4. the reindeer Senior Member

Canterbury, UK
    Spanish-Spain
    mmm... well, I know some people that are attending a removal tomorrow so maybe it is not the transport of the body but the viewing... I am talking about Ireland. Perhaps in Ireland they call it "removal" while in the States it's the viewing! :)

5. voxclamantis

voxclamantis New Member

Australia
    English - UK/USA
    You are absolutely right. In Ireland, the "removal" is the "viewing", although often this ceremony is held in the funeral home. Then the coffin/casket is closed and the body transported to the church for a short service and Rosary. The coffin might then remain in the church overnight, and the actual funeral Mass said the following day. After the Mass, the coffin is taken to the cemetary for another small service and burial. The funeral service may then be followed by a "wake", which is a celebration (food and drink) of the life of the individual.

6. the reindeer Senior Member

Canterbury, UK
    Spanish-Spain

wow... You really know about it. I did not the whole process.
    Thanks a million. You have helped me a lot! :)

7. voxclamantis

voxclamantis New Member

Australia
    English - UK/USA
    My pleasure:)