Remove syrup from ...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hotmale, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Hello :)
    I am writing a dialogue which takes place at the table.
    Somebody is served a pancake but refuses it because it has some syrup (or topping) on it.
    Would it be correct to say?

"If you don't like the syrup I will remove it from the pancake"

Thank you

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It would be correct, but it sounds unduly formal for a comment made over pancakes. :) I would just day, "If you don't the syrup, I'll scrape it off" (or "take it off").

3. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you, Nunty :)
    I knew it souded too formal that's why I asked about it.

:)

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you don't like syrup on your pancakes, I will scape/take/rinse/lick it off. (What can I tell you ... I looked at your avatar.)

I don't think I've ever seen someone served a single pancake, but then I'm American. :)

5. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    From a household that frequently indulges in pancakes with maple syrup ....

The syrup (at least, if it's good syrup) immediately soaks into the pancake. It cannot be scraped off. If we had a guest with an aversion to syrup, we'd simply pass his pancake to somebody else and give him a fresh pancake on a fresh plate.

I suppose one could scrape off something semi-solid, like corn syrup, but in Canadian households, at least, corn syrup is an abomination. ;)

We do serve single pancakes in our kitchen, but only because they're eaten as fast as they come out of the frying pan!

6. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    :D
    Thanks, Copyright.

I'm thinking about how to continue the dialogue:

- No, please don't. It is so beautifully plated/served that I have it with the syrup.

Would it sound natural?

7. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    Oh, my dialogue makes no sense then :D
    I will think about something else :)

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Yes, Chaska Ñawi is correct on all counts -- except that some of us use pans large enough to make several pancakes at once. :)

Plated is a term you might hear in restaurant kitchens (in my experience) and I'm not sure anyone is going to eat something they don't like just because it's served so well (looks so attractive).

9. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    and I'm not sure anyone is going to eat something they don't like just because it's served so well (looks so attractive).

That's true :)

10. When we're in Florida my wife orders a single pancake in Cracker Barrel. They don't bat an eyelid.

Rover

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Especially if this is a restaurant:
    "If you don't like the syrup I'll get you another pancake."

At home I might suggest scraping off the syrup, but I know for certain than none of my domestic pancake customers would accept a pancake that had been scraped as being syrup-free.

12. Hotmale

Hotmale Senior Member

Polish
    But after you scrape off the syrup, you can put some cream on it with raisings. It's better than a plain pancake ;)

13. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    In my experience, people put on their own syrup. I would be very surprised to get a plate of pancakes that already had syrup on them.

14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suspect that we have become just a little fixed on the syrup question rather than the language question. Hotmale's original question was about "some syrup (or topping)", and the comment:
    "If you don't like the syrup I will remove it from the pancake."

There's nothing incorrect about the English of this sentence, but as everyone, including me has commented, we would expect a different response and there are serious cultural issues about the concept of serving a single pancake, pre-syrupped :)