1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

rentabilidad (de un producto)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Almighty Egg, May 27, 2011.

1. Almighty Egg

Almighty Egg Senior Member

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    Hello,

This is from a presentation on childcare products. It mentions the "rentabilidad del producto" often.

I know rentabilidad in a financial sense, but I think what we are talking about here is how much use you get out of it.
    And I'm not sure how to say that in English...

It's usefulness? It's advantageousness?
    It's something to do with it's usefulness and it's price. Value for money? Usefulness for money? I can't think... practicality? utility?

One of the sentences is:
    La multifunción es la máxima expresión de la rentabilidad.
    Multifunctionality is the pinnacle of practicality?
    Multifunctionality is the ultimate expression of utility?

¿Any ideas, foreros?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Hi,

Well, usually it's like "profitability" but I guess it could imply "utility"...

3. christelleny

christelleny Senior Member

Connecticut, USA
    French-France
    It might help to know what kind of product your talking about...
    An appliance maybe?

4. Almighty Egg

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    No not appliances, specifically. There is an electric baby bottle warmer, but it's mostly child car seats, pushchairs, cushions, anything at all related to childcare.

We're talking about the use we get out of the product, I think, but also that it's worth what we paid for it... because we get a lot of use out of it. The kind of product isn't important per se.

Yes, but I can't see profitability working in this case. Does profitability work for use? It doesn't seem right to me.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. christelleny

christelleny Senior Member

Connecticut, USA
    French-France
    Then "value for money" or simply "value" might be an appropriate choice of words.

Or you could turn the pharse around completely e.g. Multifunctionality carries more value in the eyes of the consumers

6. Nokk

Nokk Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    "Profitability" may not always have a commercial/financial connotation. From the Oxford Dictionaries:

profitable
    adjective
    1 (of a business or activity) yielding profit or financial gain.
    2 beneficial; useful: he'd had a profitable day

7. Almighty Egg

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    Thanks, both,
    Nokk,
    I'm aware of that, but to me at least "the profitability of a product" sounds financial, is it just me?

8. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Patagonia - Argentina
    Spanish (Arg)
    I understand the idea and wondered whether you might be able to use "performance"...