renvoie quelqu'un à ses niaiseries

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by preciousgoods, Feb 4, 2013.

1. preciousgoods New Member

American English
    Hello all,

I'm working on the English translation of a critical review of a theater piece, and am having particular difficulties with the following sentence:

"Complètement barrée, la balade renvoie Bambi à ses niaiseries, et lui préfère un univers de corbeaux parapluies et de petit loups anglophones."

I understand that "niaiseries" is a primarily Canadian equivalent to "bêtises," although translating it into the substantive in English doesn't seem to make much sense to me, and so I'm struggling to re-interpret it correctly. Here's my best effort so far:

"Completely enclosed, this excursion sends Bambi back to his folly, and he prefers a world of raven umbrellas and little English wolves"

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
  2. Yendred Senior Member

Français - France
    niaiseries is a bit different from bêtises. The niaiseries are the childish/insignificant occupations/pleasures of someone.
    Here it refers to the original story of Bambi which is the prototype of the childish story.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    another suggestion along these lines:
    "childish pursuits"
  4. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    or perhaps "soppy" "maudlin"