reparto lavatrici e frigoriferi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by vemecle, Jan 4, 2013.

  1. vemecle Member

    I'm writing an academic essay on the marketing strategies implemented in appliance retail stores.

    I need to write in english "reparto di lavatrici, reparto di frigoriferi"

    Is it correct to use the term "department" ? so "washing machine department and fridge departement"???

    Is there a synonym that I can use not to be too much repetitive????

    Thank you!!!
  2. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US

    In AE you would find both of those devices in "Appliances" or the "Appliance Department".
  3. Washing machine section/department
    Refrigerator section/department

    a. Fridge is a sort of slang. The correct word is refrigerator.
    b. The departments over here would generally be: Laundry room appliances department, Major kitchen appliances department.
    c. I don't think a synonym would work very well to avoid the repetition.
    d. Could we have a complete sentence to see what your issue with repetition is?

    EDIT: As Tim suggested, in most stores over here, you would find both of the in the "Major Appliances Department."
  4. vemecle Member

    Ok! you're right, refrigerator is the correct term!!!

    So am I more precise talking about "washing machine section and refrigerator section inside the Major Appliance department"? Is it ok also for British English?

    It is actually a final disseration and I have to discuss charts and graphs extracted from questionnaires so, the terms will be repetead loads of time.
    In italian we avoid repetition but I guess it is inevitable in English. :)

    Thanks a lot!
  5. We try to avoid repetition also, but if something is formally called a "department," using a synonym would create a lack of clarity, so it would be best to avoid that.

    Yes, at least in AE that would be correct.
  6. vemecle Member

    Great! thank you so much!
  7. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
    "Major appliance department" is an AE term, I think - we don't use this term in the UK. We would say "Home Appliances" for both a washing machine and a refrigerator.
  8. You little ripper! Senior Member

    Australian English
    In Australia we call both of them 'white goods', but the washing machines are usually placed in a different section to the refrigerators.
  9. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
    We also say "white goods" in the UK, although you wouldn't use this referring to a department store.
  10. You little ripper! Senior Member

    Australian English
    I don't understand, elfa. I wouldn't use white goods to refer to a department store, either. I would refer to the white goods section in a department store. The white goods, both refrigerators and washing machines, are usually on the same floor of a department store, with fridges in one section and washing machines in another.
  11. elfa

    elfa Senior Member

    Bath, England
    That's exactly what I mean, Ripper. We would only use "white goods" informally, perhaps in conversation - not in relation to a section in a department store. Hope that's clear now :)
  12. You little ripper! Senior Member

    Australian English
    I completely misunderstood your comment, elfa. :D I have often seen 'white goods' as a heading in catalogues for department stores here, but we do tend to be a bit more informal than the Brits. It wouldn't work in vemecle's contest because she wants fridges and washing machines separated.
  13. vemecle Member

    Yeah right, I could not use "white goods" because I think it's too informal for my dissertation so I used Home appliance department and refrigerator/washing machine sections.
    But thank you so much to all!

Share This Page