repetition of 'a/an' when listing a number of nouns

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hassanbaudhan, May 6, 2014.

1. hassanbaudhan Junior Member

Arabic
    Guys, do we need to repeat 'a/an' when listing a number of nouns. What about if some of the listed nouns are plural and the others are singular and/or some of the singular nouns in the list require 'a', while the others require 'an'. I also need your help in choosing what you feel correct sentence of the following:

The study used *a* diagnostic test, *a* questionnaire, and interviews, and listening comprehension tasks.
    The study used *a* diagnostic test, *a* questionnaire, *an* interview, *and* listening comprehension tasks.
    The study used *a* diagnostic test, questionnaire, interviews, and listening comprehension tasks.
    thank you

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Your second sentence is correct—except for the comma after "interview"—which might be cause for debate.
    "An" is used instead of "a" when the noun following it begins with a vowel.

3. Ma_linka Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    I would leave a serial comma before "and" to avoid confusion. I've noticed Americans tend to omit them though.

4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Hassanbaudhan. :)

I like your second sentence just as it is. (We Americans don't all omit those commas, Malinka.)

P.S.: We're not all "guys". I don't object to the word, but some forum members do.