report card

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    I wonder if you also have this document at schools and what do you call it. And please also indicate how many times pupils get it per year & if the pupil or only the parents get it. Thank you very much in advance.

Definiton: a report card (US English) is a measure of a student's performance. In most places, the report card is issued by the school to the student or the student's parents twice or four times yearly. A typical report card uses a grading scale to determine the quality of a student's school work.

Hungarian = bizonyítvány, 2x a year, children get it.

Czech = vysvědčení, 2x a year, children

German = Zeugnis, how many time???, childen vs. parents???

British English = ?????

2. Ciliegina

Ciliegina Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Italian: pagella; students get it, two (in some schools three) times a year. They have to return it signed by their parents.

3. wbhindyou New Member

Australia
    English
    In British English, it is simply known as a "report", or "school report".

But no doubt the American usage will begin to creep in.....:(

I think it is issued at the end of each term, ie 3 or 4 times a year.

4. Vicky59 Senior Member

Español Venezuela
    Hello!
    In Venezuela: Boletín de Notas or Boletín de Calificaciones. Parents get it 3 times per year, so they can discuss results and student performance with teachers

5. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish: todistus, which also means proof; certification; certificate; testimonial.

Pupils in comprehensive schools get it 2 times a year, before Christmas holidays (välitodistus - middle report) and summer holidays (kevättodistus - spring report).
    The one you get at the end of school - after those nine years - is called päättötodistus (end report).

6. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Two times a year in Germany. The pupils get it and one parent has to sign it.

7. yaow Senior Member

France
    English
    Hi!
    In France, it's a: "relevé de notes"; it is sent out 3 times a year, one after each quarter/trimester (every 3 months), only to the parents. School lasts 3 trimesters in France.

after each trimester there's a teachers' meting for each class, with each classes' teachers, to discuss of each and every pupil: results, behaviour, likely to pass or fail the year...

8. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Brazil (at least the term I've grown up with): boletim.

9. RaLo18 Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In Hebrew:
    תעודה (te'uda).

Report cards are given twice a year to the pupils in Israel.

10. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    Ο έλεγχος (o eleŋkhos, noun, m.), the pupils get it twice a year and one parent has to sign it.

11. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russia there are two:
    дневник [dnevnik], literally means "diary", it is sort of an organizer that a student carries every day. It has the class schedule and it is where the student enters the homework assignments and the teacher makes notes and enters grades for the parents to see. The parents are supposed to check and sign weekly.

журнал [journal] in this case means "register'; it is the document for all students in a class that the teacher keeps and where the teacher enters the grades and other info. Parents usually have access to it at their request.

In addition to daily notes that the parents are supposed to see (well, if the child's "dog didn't eat his dnevnik" or if it "didn't get lost":)), a progress report is sent to the parents once a quarter; some schools post theirs online on secure school websites.

12. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

Entre Paris et Lisbonne
    français (France)
    I think it is called "bulletin de notes" or "bulletin trimestriel" rather than "relevé de notes". We used to get them quarterly as you explained. When I was a child, my parents received them by post. Now in some schools parents can access reports online too.

This one is called "carnet de correspondance" or "carnet de liaison" in French schools. Parents are requested to see it regularly (not each week). Contents are the same except for homework - it also contains forms for absence or late arrival to be completed and signed by the parents.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  13. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,

In Dutch (Belgium): rapport (or schoolrapport)

Groetjes,

Frank

14. Hyper Squirrel Junior Member

New York
    English - American
    In America it depends on what school you go to. It is (obviously) called a report card, and in my high school we got one six times a year. However, at some schools they only get theirs twice a year. In college it differs greatly as well.

In most parts it depends as to whether the parents recieve the report card as well. At my school only the student recieved a copy but it is more common the other way, I believe.

15. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    Chinese: 成績單 成绩单 chéngjīdān (result bill)
    成績表 成绩表 chéngjībiǎo (result table)

Incidentally, we also say 'report sheet' (alongside 'report card') in Hong Kong.

16. ilocas2 Senior Member

I just want to say that vysvědčení in colloquial language is often vízo or výzo or much less frequently vízko or výzko, the pronounciation of vízo and výzo (or vízko and výzko) is the same, only it's written either with í or with ý

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014