request for admission

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by rakelita40, Jan 2, 2013.

1. rakelita40 Senior Member

I am a Legal (Criminal law) Spanish instructor in New York. I am having a hard time translating the term: "Request for Admission". A request of admission is a written document issued by either party that questions the truth of a matter relevant to the case. My intent is "Pedido de Admisión". I am afraid that this translation is kind of vague. What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.
  2. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    How about "petición para reconocimiento de hechos"?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  3. Anwar Boylston Senior Member

New York
    U.S.A.; English

I'm OK with what robjh suggests, but a request for admission is asking the defendant to testify against his own interest. Somewhere "allanamiento" might play a part.
  4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I don't like t now. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it isn't right.
  5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Although the original poster refers to being a criminal law instructor, it's not clear to me that a request for admission (RFA) can be used in criminal cases. I'd like to know if this pertains to criminal cases or civil cases.

As noted by the original poster, an RFA can be used by either party, and so it is not necessarily asking a defendant to admit facts.

In a civil case, an RFA may be used to establish facts that no one contests and therefore is not necessarily against the admitting party's interest. For example, in a contract dispute, an RFA that the signatures are genuine and authorized may establish facts that no one contests (the dispute being whether there was a breach or the meaning of a clause, for instance).

What's wrong with using the Spanish word admisión (as in "request for admission of facts")?
  6. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Ricardo is right about the civil versus criminal issue.

I think the OP's hesitancy about "admisión," like mine, results when one adds "Pedido de [admisión]"; it sounds like "request for permission to enter."

Of course, one might raise the same concern with "Request for Admission" in English, so perhaps the concern is misplaced. Still, I suspect there is a way to make it perfectly clear in Spanish that one is requesting that the other party stipulate to ABC so that the fact can be deemed admitted and both sides can move forward with litigation and not have to worry about producing witnesses at trial to prove ABC.

What would you do with "Request for", Ricardo?

7. rakelita40 Senior Member

Thanks so much for your response! I completely agree with what you say. I guess if the meaning in English is not totally precised it would be ok to translate it literally in Spanish. I just can't think of anything else.
  8. rakelita40 Senior Member

Thanks Ricardo. I don't know about other states, but in NY "Request of Admission" is commontly used in Criminal law. I don't see anything wrong with "admisión". What do you guys think: "peticiones de admisión" o " petición para el reconocimiento de los hechos"?
  9. rakelita40 Senior Member

Ricardo, I was totally wrong and you were totally right. "Request for Admission" doesn't exist in Criminal law. Sorry everybody for the confusion and thank you so much for taking the time to help!!!! I hope that at least we all learned something. I was told the opposite for a group of criminal lawyers.
  10. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    It seemed odd to me since an RFA usually carries some kind of sanction if the responding party does not admit facts when he should. This would be contrary to the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination in criminal cases. That's why I asked.

As to proposed Spanish translations, I suspect either would convey a meaning that would not be misleading. In English, the term "request for admissions" is not fully self-explanatory, and it has a special meaning to US lawyers familiar with civil procedure.
  11. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Just thinking here -- a request for admission is asking for someone to agree that a statement, fact, or opinion is true. Even in ordinary English, "admission" rarely (if ever) carries that meaning. Let's look for translations for TRUTH -- perhaps "I agree that statement #2 is true."
    I do not agree that statement #3 is true / I assert that statement #3 is false.

Note that in the request for admission, in English, we do not use the words "true" or "false". Instead, we use the terms "admit" or "deny." I have to be very careful when working with my clients on requests for admission because of these legal terms.