Request for Approval [acceptable email title?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by singsing, Mar 2, 2011.

1. singsing Senior Member

Korean
    When you write a request for approval letter to your boss,
    would it be considered impolite to write just "Request for Approval" as the title of your email? Does it have to be in a complete sentence?

Thanks in advance.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Short titles are ordinary in e-mails, Sing Sing. I doubt that anybody will think it's impolite to use the title "Request for Approval".

3. singsing Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you Owlman5! I'm very relieved to hear that (because I already sent it!) :D
    I'll keep that in mind.

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    The purpose of a subject line (more common than "title," in my experience) is to enable the reader to find out what a message is about in an instant without having to read it. Yours does this job very well. I wish more people were this specific: I often get e-mails with subject lines like "Good morning," "Question," or the name of the sender! These are completely useless.

The only thing you could possibly add in the future is a one-word indication of what you want your boss to approve. "Request for travel approval," "Request for budget approval," "Request for schedule approval," etc., are more specific while still being short enough for the purpose.

5. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

On that same note, please keep in mind the subject of a thread when you open it. "Email title" will not help anyone else who is wondering if "Request For Approval" is a good email title and decides to search through our threads for an answer. ;)

6. singsing Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you for your GREAT suggestions! =)

7. singsing Senior Member

Korean
    You're right. Good point. Yes, I'll keep that in mind as well :)