Research Vs researchs (plural?)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by jajajaja70, May 17, 2009.

1. jajajaja70 Junior Member

spanish
    Can I use research in plural... like the researchs will be in charge of...

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. bghansel Junior Member

New York City
    USA English
    No, this doesn't work. You simply say the research, no matter how much of it there is. You can have "a body of research" if there are lots of references.

Also "research" can't be in charge of anything either, but researchers can. So if you're talking about the people doing research, then you can say "the researchers will be in charge of. . ."

Depending on the context, you can say studies or research projects if you need to talk about individual specific pieces of research.

3. PadmaSundari Senior Member

Madrid-Spain
    Spanish-Spain
    Research is an uncountable noun and has no plural. I agree with bghansel, depending on the context you can use "research projects"

4. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    But there are the people who carry out the research: "researchers"

Does the original refer to these people?

syd

5. Ynez Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I guess in Spanish it is:

Las investigaciones estarán a cargo de...

what comes after "a cargo de" will be the responsible for the research, the entity paying for it, or something else.

6. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Except that the original seems to say:

"los/las ___ se harán cargo de...." (not 'will be in the charge of...')

This is why I suggest that '___' might be "investigadores". ??

It might help if there were a little more context (or at least the rest of the sentence).

syd

7. TooPureToDie Junior Member

Latin American Spanish
    "Research" can't be used in plural.

Also, if what you're trying to say is "las investigaciones estarán a cargo de ...", a more accurate translation would be "research will be held by ..." and add a noun such as 'teachers' or 'students'.