resolver sus situaciones comunicativas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by spiderwomann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. spiderwomann New Member

USA and English
    Hola,

Estoy escribiendo mi tesis de la universidad ahorita en ingles, y necesito traducir la siguiente frase de un ensayo escrito en espanol. Para mi, no suele bien decir "communicative situations." Algunas sugerencias?

" “Lengua” designa un específico sistema de signos que es utilizado por una comunidad concreta para resolver sus situaciones comunicativas."

(my translation)

" 'lengua'
    designates a specific system of signs that is used by a concrete community in order to settle/resolve their communicative situations."

Muchas gracias!

2. MHCKA

MHCKA Senior Member

CIUDAD DE MÉXICO
    MÉXICO. ESPAÑOL
    Lengua is language.

I feel more appropriate states instead designates.

Instead concrete community, specific community.
    Instead settle/resolve, solve.
    The original in Spanish is a very ugly sentence. Try with this sentence in Spanish:

"Lengua designa un sistema especial de signos que es utilizado por una comunidad (en específico) para resolver sus necesidades de comunicación."

3. spiderwomann New Member

USA and English
    Thanks a lot for your response...

I am trying to translate it in order to use it as a direct quote from the author, because I am writing a section on the differences between "lengua" and "lenguaje" in terms of the ways in which sign language is defined in Chile. While I understand the difference myself, I need to back up my explanation with quotes/academic references etc. But I agree with you that it is an ugly sentence!

any sugestions on what to say for "situaciones comunicativas"?

4. MHCKA

MHCKA Senior Member

CIUDAD DE MÉXICO
    MÉXICO. ESPAÑOL
    O.K.

To me is clear "Lengua" contains "Lenguaje" but in English I believe it uses the same word.

Yeah, direct quotes includes mistakes.

My version:

"Lengua states a single system of signs which is used by a specific community to solve their communication affairs"

Affair in the second meaning of the Merriam-Webster´s Dictionary:

2: a procedure, action, or occasion only vaguely specified; also : an object or collection of objects only vaguely specified <their house was a 2-story affair>

Tu tesis suena interesante, ojala después me platiques sobre ella.