respetar absolutamente

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Porteño, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I have searched everywhere but can not find a suitable translation for 'respetándose absolutamente' in the following context relating to an insurance policy covering a fishing vessel operating in the South Atlantic:

'....respetándose absolutamente la zona de exclusion'.

I have thought of 'fully complying with'

Has anybody got any better ideas on this one? They would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. julian_lp Senior Member

La plata Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    taking into account that exclusion zone must be respected absolutely [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

3. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hi,

I think your try is correct: fully comply with the exclusion zone.

Greetings,

Erasmo.

4. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Sorry julian lp but respecting absolutely just doesn't sound right in the context, apart from the fact that it in any case it would have to be 'absolutely respecting'. As far as I know, in English the adverb normally precedes the verb it is modifying. Anybody disagree with that?

5. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Many thanks Erasmo

My greetings to you and Lima. too.

6. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    You're wellcome Porteño. Hugs, and hope you visit Peru soon.

Erasmo.

7. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Thanks, I haven't been there for quite some time now (since about 1969) but have fond memories.

8. julian_lp Senior Member

La plata Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    Your phrase sounds better, indeed, but the expression that I wrote above can be found in a couple of places, so it makes me believe that it could be used as well.
    Anyway, never take my words seriously, I'm really an amateur translator ;)

9. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I agree with the expression of course, it was really a question of the context, which is rather special. Thanks for trying anyway and keep up the good work! Excuse me correcting but you should have said 'made me believe'
    Cheers! Saludos!

10. julian_lp Senior Member

La plata Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    I'm here to be corrected, no problem about that ;)

"It can be found in a couple of places, so it makes (now) me believe that it could be used as well."

Is it wrong really? :confused:

11. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    No, not really. except you're using 'could' be used. I think it would sound better if you stuck to one tense.
    I found it ... made me believe ... could be used
    It can be found ... makes me believe ...it can be used
    How about that?

12. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    "Totally (or completely) adhering to the exclusion zone"?

13. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Wouldn't 'adhering' imply staying within the exclusion? What this policy stipulates in effect is that one must not enter the exclusion zone. That is why I had thought of 'complying with'. It's perhaps not the ideal but I was trying to avoid getting into a long explanation as it is a brief reference to a clause in an insurance policy.

14. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    I didn´t see it that way. I was thinking "adhering" to the principle of exclusion zone. I wonder if you could use "observing". Mind you, I have no problem with your original "complying", all I'm trying to do is provide you with alternatives.

15. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Perhaps I should explain. The fishing exclusion zone is an area designated by Great Britain around the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) where fishing can only be carried out under licence from the island authorities. Naturally Argentine-flagged vessels are unlikely to apply for such a licence and are therefore excluded from the zone and the insurance policy mentions this in connection with the area covered...