1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Rest in peace

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by AdamGerace, Nov 28, 2005.

1. AdamGerace New Member

Australia
    Hi,
    We are finalising the writing for my grandmother's headstone and want to put the Italian of "Rest in peace". However, we have seen three different ways of writing this:

- Riposi in pace
    - Riposa in pace
    - Ripose in pace

I am a little lost as to which one is the correct usage. Is anyone able to explain what the differences are and, if possible, which is correct or preferred?

Thanking you
    Adam

2. Elisa68 Senior Member

Italy Language:Italian
    The correct one is the first one:
    (che) riposi in pace (which means: May she rest in peace)

The second one is indicative, which is not the correct verb mode in this context.

The third one is simply wrong since ripose does not exist in Italian.

3. flop

flop Senior Member

italian/Italy
    hallo, adam.
    "ripose in pace" is wrong; as for the first two possibilities, the first one is imperative, 3rd person singular, so it means "may she rest in peace", while the second is imperative, 2nd person singular, and it literally means "rest in peace", which also sounds more informal -- the way i would talk to my grandmother, that is.
    hope this helped
    flop

4. AdamGerace New Member

Australia
    Thankyou for your speedy replies! It is much appreciated.

If, later on, my grandfather were to be buried there as well, if we used "RIPOSI in PACE" would we have to change it (it is a headstone that will have his details added when the time comes - hopefully a long time away) or would it still be suitable?

Adam

5. Elisa68 Senior Member

Italy Language:Italian
    Yes, it would be suitable. However, if the headstone will have to indicate both of them the right inscription is "Riposino" which is the plural.

6. Ranchero New Member

United States English
    I'm trying to design my tattoo for my brother and want it written in italian. Can someone help me translate, Rest in peace, We will be together soon. I have tryed on my own but don't want to be incorrect for obvious reasons. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- Kurt

7. IkHouVanPulcino Senior Member

Italian
    I would say Riposa in pace, ci rivedremo presto/ ci riuniremo presto. Condoglianze by the way, I'm sorry, I don't know how to say Condoglianze in english :(

Simona

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English - California, USA
    Can you type out your attempt?

9. Ranchero New Member

United States English
    Thanks for the quick replys.
    Riposa in pace, ci rivedremo presto/ ci riuniremo presto. Should I use ci rivedremo presto or ci riuniremo presto? Thanks for the help.

Kurt

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English - California, USA
    Ci rivedremo literally means we will see each other again, and ci riuniremo means we will reiunite with each other. So whichever you prefer.

11. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I hate to say this (as much as I love Italian), but another possibility is the classic line from Latin (the parent of Italian!:)):
    Requiascat in Pacem

12. iiheartsnow New Member

usa english
    how would you say "rest in peace nano" like directed towards someone. not just may he rest in peace.. adding a name after.. how would this be done?

13. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    I'm guessing you mean "nonno" (grandfather) not "nano" (dwarf).

Riposi in pace, nonno.

But wait for a native.

14. pizzi

pizzi Senior Member

Urbìn
    Italian, Italy
    from a native: the correct form is

"Riposa in pace" (requiescat in pace)

it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiescat_in_pace

15. Parergon Senior Member

Switzerland
    Italiano, Italia

16. iiheartsnow New Member

usa english
    yeah nano was i guess a slang spelling, it's just how we've spelled it. but i'm planning this for a tattoo i'm going to get written in script around my wrist. so Riposi in pace, nonno would be correct?

17. Parergon Senior Member

Switzerland
    Italiano, Italia
    Riposa in pace.

18. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Sorry, but I'm afraid there is a little confusion...
    The correct translation of Latin sentence "requiescat in pace" is "(che egli) riposi in pace", not "riposa in pace" (in the plural "requiescant in pace - riposino in pace), it's an invocation in order that God gives the eternal rest to someone.
    In spite of this, if the name of dead person (i.e. nonno) is added, I'd say "riposa in pace, nonno".

19. iiheartsnow New Member

usa english
    so the best would be "riposa in pace, nonno." translated to something like "rest in peace, grandfather."
    is this correct?

20. pimpiepooh Senior Member

Italy
    Riposa in pace, nonno
    OPPURE
    Riposi in pace.
    If you put a "vocative case" (from latin) after the verb, you have to use the imperative second singular person -> "riposa in pace, nonno"
    Without a vocative (it's left out, it's implicit) it becomes a subjunctive -> "riposi in pace".
    I hope this is clear :)

21. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    In my opinion yes, if you want to say 'sleep well' to your grandfather..!

22. iiheartsnow New Member

usa english
    thanks for the feedback guys... i just want it to be directed towards him. not just rest in peace, but rest in peace as if i were talking to him. like if i'm speaking to him and i say the words "rest in peace grandfather" that would be riposa in pace, nonno. correcT? i just want to make sure i get this perfect before i ink it on my body forever.

23. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    CoRrEcT!

24. iiheartsnow New Member

usa english
    thank you very much! when i get all this planned and talk to my tattoo artist about this one i'll post pictures!

25. dell5150 New Member

English - USA
    I am getting a memorial cross tattoo, in memory of my father who has passed away. I would like to put a memorial phrase above the cross in Italian. I have listed below a few I would like to have translated into Italian.

Rest in peace dad
    dad, rest in peace
    In memory of...dad

I am also open to suggestion. Perhaps there are Italian phrases that dont have a direct english translation that are used on headstones or the like that have meaning that would work in my situation.

Thanks to any and all respondants

Tom (dell5150)

26. Lello4ever

Lello4ever Senior Member

Napoli
    Italia - Italiano
    "Riposa in pace, papà"
    "Papà, riposa in pace"
    "In ricordo di papà"

Last one sounds rather bad. The first is the best for me.

27. dell5150 New Member

English - USA
    I am trying to translate "Rest in Peace" (like from a grave site headstone)into Italian. I have gotten a few responses and I don't know which is correct. Can someone help decifer:

Riposi in pace
    riposarsi nella pace

Thanks

28. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Raffa

29. underhouse Senior Member

In my opinion if the phrase is just "Rest in Peace" and it is not an extract from another phrase the translation should be "Riposa in Pace" or "Riposate in Pace".

30. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Io l'ho sempre sentita al congiuntivo.
    Come dire "che riposi in pace."
    Tu lo intendi come imperativo?
    "Riposa tu".
    "Riposate voi"?

Ma in questo genere di espressioni, di solito non è usato il congiuntivo?
    Come "Dio ti benedica."
    "Sia benedetto.."
    Raffa

31. underhouse Senior Member

Penso che noi sentiamo sempre il congiuntivo di una frase subordinata ad esempio "blah blah blah...e che la sua anima riposi in pace" però non sono sicuro che "riposi in pace" e basta stia in piedi. Ma magari mi sbaglio...