Restaci tu qui

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by *Carolyn, Jul 10, 2013.

1. *Carolyn New Member

American English
    Hello,

Would a correct translation of "restaci tu qui" be something like:

"you stay there now" / "you are still there now" / "even now, remain there"

Just saying "you stay there now" doesn't seem to convey the whole meaning. It seems like it needs to have the sense of "you're still there, you haven't left, even now you're still in that spot". Does that sound right? I know that "qui" is generally "here", but I think it can also be used to mean "now", would that be correct in this situation?

These are in the lyrics to a song. I'm not sure that it matters, as far as context goes, but the preceding phrase is: "Io non ci vivo più," and I believe the "restaci tu qui" is contrasting that.

Thank you so much!

Ciao
    Carolyn

2. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian
    "I'm not going to live here any longer, you (can) stay here (if you want)" or something along these lines...

3. *Carolyn New Member

American English
    Hello Gianfry!

Oh, thank you, thank you! This is wonderful! I am new to Italian AND new to translating, so I am making lots of mistakes, and I have lots of questions. :) Here are my questions about this translation:

---
    1. In the phrase "Io non ci vivo più", because "vivo" is present tense, is the "più" what changes the meaning of "vivo" from "I do not live" to "I'm not going to live"? For example, if this phrase was standing on its own, would this be correct:

"Io non ci vivo." = "I don't live here."
    "Io non ci vivo più." = I'm not going to live here any longer."

2. In the second phrase, you added the implied feeling of "you (can) stay here (if you want)". Is that because of the "Io" in the first phrase adds the emphasis "This is what I'M doing, but that is what YOU are doing." (contrast)? For example, if the second phrase was standing on its own, would this be correct:

"Restaci tu qui." = "You stay here."

3. Question about "ci": How do you know when "ci" means "there", or "here" ? This is something that confused me with this translation. In the second phrase, "restaci tu qui", I was confused because if I translated "ci" as "there", it didn't make any sense - how could you stay "there" ("restaci") and stay "here" ("qui") at the same time?? :) But now that I know "ci" can be "there" OR "here", I would read the "qui" in that phrase and assume "restaci" as "stay here" and not "stay there". Is that correct?

3a. Question about "ci": In the first phrase, how did you know that "ci" meant "here" and not "there"? Is it because of the context given in the second phrase, "Restaci tu qui"? For example, if the first phrase was standing on its own, would this be correct:

"Io non ci vivo." = "I don't live there."
    "Io non ci vivo più, restaci tu qui." = I'm not going to live here any longer, you (can) stay here (if you want)."
    ---

So many questions! I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my first question, and thank you to you (and anyone else!) for helping me with all my new questions. :) Also, if this isn't the right kind of question/discussion for this forum, can you please let me know? I have several other phrases that I would love to have help with as well, and if this one was ok then in the future I will make more posts.

Thank you!

4. L'Enrico Senior Member

Italiano
    Hello Carolyn,

Since Gianfry is not responding, allow me to chime in. I hope he won't mind.

1) Despite sharing a name, the English simple present and the Italian presente differ in use. We use the presente in a much wider range of situations than you do. For example, all the following cases would feature the presente in Italian:

a) Present perfect/ presente perfect progressive + time adverbials: I've been waiting for two hours.
    b) Present progressive: What are you doing? - I'm going out. (This would be optional, but possible)
    c) 1st conditional pattern: I will let you live if you tell me the location of your secret base.
    d) Will/going to when they indicate volition: I'm not going to spend another day here.
    e) Similar to case d) above: My car will not start.

So, to answer you question directly, it's not "più" the deciding factor; it's just the meaning of the sentence that requires the presente in Italian.

2) "Restaci tu qui" it's not just "you stay here". For example

a) You stay here, I'll go get the tickets.

We would just say "Stai qua" in that case. As Gianfry indicated, there's a clear and sharp contrast in the phrasing "restaci tu qua". It has the sense of "You are welcome to stay and rot in this god-awful place if that's what you like".
    Well, OK, that was a little too strong, but you get the gist.

3) Only the context will tell you whether your "ci" means "here" or "there". The second part of the sentence helps clarify that it's "here", yes, but the opening "Io non ci vivo (più)" already tells the reader that there's something coming next. The plain "I don't live there" would probably be said as "Non vivo lì/là". It's a combination of emphasis (the presence of "Io") and wording.

I hope that helped
    E.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  5. *Carolyn New Member

American English
    L'Enrico! Grazie mille!! Your reply is so wonderful!

Ok, I think I understand. So when you say
    you mean that the only time someone would use this specific phrasing would be if they actually did mean "You are welcome to stay here if etc..." ? If that is what you mean, then I understand now how the phrasing of "restaci tu qui" gives you the context to know that "io non ci vivo più" is "I'm not going to live here anymore". So helpful!

Ah, perfect! So first I read "Io non ci vivo più -" and think "Ok the next part will tell me about the ci" and then when I see the "qui" in the next part I can say "Got it! It's qui!"

Again, thank you so much! Your reply was so helpful, I really appreciate it.

Ciao,
    Carolyn

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013