restaurant names

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by lizhartley, Mar 17, 2005.

1. lizhartley New Member

melbourne
    australia, english
    still trying.....any good italian words for brewery? you see, the address is in malthouse lane, which refers to a place where beer is made....anyone out there got any ideas??? :idea: :idea: :idea:

2. winnie

winnie Senior Member

italy, italian
    brewery is birreria

what's about 'La Birreria'?

ciao
    winnie

3. shaula

shaula Senior Member

Como, Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Birreria is more "birrificio", but I doubt whether this word suits English-speaking customers..:)
    We have a place here called just "Il Birrificio" where they actually brew their own beer, while a birreria is a place where you can drink beer.

Ciao
    shaula

4. winnie

winnie Senior Member

italy, italian
    birrificio is an archaic word no more (or not much) used. birreria has the two meanings you well explained.

for an English speaker birreria may be difficult to say, i agree with you so if you want give the idea of something related to beer or brewery you may think to hop and malt, in Italian luppolo e malto; and what about a beer mug, 'il boccale'?

winnie.

5. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    What about "La Casa della Birra?"

6. leenico

leenico Senior Member

U.S.A. english
    "Birra fatto qui." It doesn't mean brewery, per se, but it does have a nice ring to it. ;)

7. walnut

walnut Senior Member

Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Hi lizhartley :)

I shortened your thread's title into "restaurant names" to make it easier for other foreros to identify it and help you.

Ciao :) Walnut

8. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Yes it does sound nice, but to those that will be able to pronounce it correctly. Remember that people in general do not have good speaking skills. "il boccale" and "La casa della Birra" are easier and still sound good. I can't think of any others myself that would be easy for the general public to say. Also don't forget that a lot of peole will not even understand what they are saying.. ha ha ha ... you could also have fun with that too :cool: ;) :cool: ;)

9. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    just a little correction

Birra fatta qui

fatta refers to birra ;)

10. leenico

leenico Senior Member

U.S.A. english
    Mille grazie Alfry. You will teach me in spite of myself. ;)

11. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    You are welcome, Lee. ;)

12. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    What about "Bella Birra"? (Nice/good beer)

Men always say: Ci facciamo una bella birra? Facciamoci una bella birra (slang for let's have a good beer!)

Please guys, correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Some more slang: Birrata
    Just like pizzata, it's used when you want to hang out and have something together with other people (beer, pizza etc.) I'm not sure there's an expression for that in English.

So anything good so far?! :)

13. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Women say the same. I've heard that so many times.
    I like Birrata!