Result clause in the subjunctive?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by beatlemaniac, Feb 7, 2013.

1. beatlemaniac

beatlemaniac Senior Member

Belfast
    Northern Ireland - English
    Hi :) I'm not sure if the subjunctive would be used in the following 'result clauses'. I think they would be in Latin, but not so sure about the Spanish!:

1. No deberíamos trabajar tanto que estemos estresados.
    We should not work so much that we are stressed.

2. Durante los últimos años, han aumentado tan radicalmente para que más de 20% de la población esté obeso
    Over the past few years, they​ (obesity rates) have increased so dramatically that over 20% of the population is obese

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    I would say 1. Yes and 2. No.

3. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    I'm not sure about the tense in 1 - whether it's okay with conditional + present subjunctive or if it might need a past subjunctive

As for number 2, there might be some possibility that in strict grammatical terms it might 'work', but I can't think there would be any in reality. It might be that 'para que' isn't the best option.
    Just my thoughts - as always, wait for more knowledgeable offerings!

4. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    1. Yes, like donbeto says.
    2. Also needs the subjunctive due to the conjunction you used: "para que" always needs the subjunctive. However, in my opinion, "para que" does not reflect what your sentence in English says. I'd use a different conjunction, like e.g. "así que"; in that case you can either use the subjunctive or the indicative; I'd use the indicative here as the increase in rates does not cause the population to be obese; it's rather the other way around.

5. beatlemaniac

beatlemaniac Senior Member

Belfast
    Northern Ireland - English
    Thanks a lot, this has been of great help! :)
    Saludos.

6. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Should it be más del 20% ?

7. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    I agree with Peterdg. I keep hearing that 'para que' is always subjunctive (I still have a hard time believing that there are no exceptions, but that's what they say), but 'para que' must be used in such a way the it would lead to the subjunctive.

8. Julvenzor

Julvenzor Senior Member

Sevilla
    Español propio (Andalucía, España)

Sobresaliente.

9. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    There aren't any exceptions, believe me:). You should be happy:p.

There are three expressions that always go with the subjunctive, with no exceptions: "para que", "antes de que" and "sin que".