1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

resurgir vs ressurgir

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Sniegurochka, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Sniegurochka

Sniegurochka Senior Member

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    Quelqu’un peut-il m’expliquer la différence entre resurgir et ressurgir? Je suis en train de traduire la phrase suivante de l’anglais en français :
    What makes me especially happy for her is that she seems to have reappeared after having been in the shadow, in a standstill, for some time.

Mon essaie :
    Ce que me rende surtout heureuse pour elle, c’est qu’elle semble être réapparue (resurgie, ressurgie) après avoir été à l’ombre, à l’arrête, pendant quelque temps.
    Merci !

2. le chat noir

le chat noir Senior Member

Paris, France
    French (by birth!), some English, a bit of Russian and traces of German
    resurgir and ressurgir are just two variants of the exact same word.

arrêt (masc) -> stop, standstill
    arrête (fem) -> fishbone :)
    here I assume 'in a standstill' means her career (as an artist) has not made any progress
    also 'à l'ombre' is more like either 'in the shade of a tree' or slang for 'in jail' :). 'dans l'ombre' is the expression to use here.

Ce qui me rend surtout heureuse pour elle, c'est quelle semble avoir resurgi après avoir été dans l'ombre, sans évoluer pendant un bon moment.

3. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    I agree with le chat noir. I think that "resurgir" was the original spelling,
    but there is a problem to pronounce it, because you can't pronounce "rezurgir".
    That's why I prefer "ressurgir" because the pronunciation fits with the spelling.

4. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    Also note that Le chat noir changed "Ce que" to "Ce qui" (but didn't put it in bold). ;)

ce que + subject +verb
    ce qui + verb :D

I've probably oversimplified a complicated rule, but I think it explains the correction, more or less. :)

5. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    même si Wikipédia signale "resurgir" comme variante orthographique - pour des raisons de prononciation, il me semble préférable d'écrire "ressurgir" (comme ressortir, ressaut, etc.) - sinon le "s" seul se prononce "z" (comme dans "résurrection")

6. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Senior Member

California, USA
    France, French
    I couldn't agree more with Marcolo. Also note the French spelling of the substantive "[SIZE=-1]résurgence"a bit different from the English :) (same meaning though)[/SIZE]

7. Sniegurochka

Sniegurochka Senior Member

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    Wow, thank you so much for your help and tremendous explanations! You helped me to avoid so many pitfalls with my sentence!