1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Retracted shoulders

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Espenglitaçais, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Espenglitaçais Junior Member

Mexican Spanish & US English
    This phrase is found in a physical therapy report:
    "he demonstrated decreased coordination of his extremities, and tendency to keep his shoulders retracted"
    The term I'm inquiring about is "shoulders retracted."

During my search I found the following phrases "hombros retraídos" "retracción escapular" and "aducción escapular".
    I'm leaning towards one of the last two suggestions, however, I'm hoping to get an expert opinion on the correct word usage.
    "tendencia a una retracción/aducción escapular"
    "tendencia a mantener las escápulas aducidas/retraidas"
    Thanks!

2. Draco1965 New Member

Dallas Tx USA
    Mexican spanish
    It always depends on the register you want to do the translation. If this is a translation for another doctor either of the terms "tendencia a una retracción/aducción scapular" would do. Now, if the register is to be translated in mere "layman's terms" then "y con una tendencia a mantener sus hombros retraídos" would be more appropriate in my humble opinion.

Saludos.

3. Espenglitaçais Junior Member

Mexican Spanish & US English
    Thanks Draco. What I wanted to confirm is if any or all three suggestions are appropriate equivalents of the English term. Your answer seems to indicate that they are all appropriate and it's just a matter of register.
    In that case, is any one of those three used more often than another?
    Also, you used "scapular" in the Spanish translation; Was I wrong to use "escapular" or is yours a typo?

Thanks!