Return

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by MissChris, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MissChris Junior Member

US
    English
    Hi everyone.

I'm want to say 'come back to bed' in a colloquial command form.
    What I've come up with is: возвращаися к кровати/в кровать

I assume there's a better one but what's the difference in meanings when using к кровати/в кровать in this phrase?

Thanks!

2. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    As you might have realised, it absolutely depends on the context (who, to whom, and why says that). One option: «Ложись спать!»
    "Он вернулся к кровати" means that he approached his bedstead again and stopped. "Он вернулся в кровать" means he went to bed again, but it's a bit clumsy one.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. Vektus

Vektus Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    More variants: Иди спать! Иди в кровать! Even "Быстро в кровать!" if it is an order to a naughty child.

Возвращайся в кровать (not к кровати) may work but it sounds rather official and too long for the colloquial form.

If you are the one in bed and you ask someone else to join you, you may simply say "Иди сюда!"

4. MissChris Junior Member

US
    English
    Thanks for the great variants! This quote is exactly what I'm trying to say but is there another way to say it to mean 'come back to bed' and not just 'come here'? I used the verb возвращаться because I didn't know any other verb to mean 'come back' but I certainly know that doesn't mean it's the only option!

5. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    «Иди ко мне!» or «иди сюда!» could do, generally. Much depends on the voice, you can tell very different things by these phrases. The addition that the person is asked to come back seems superflucious and only required by the use in English, why do you insist on it? What are your reasons? If it's already known that the person has been in the bed or near it, then you don't need to say it explicitly. ;)

6. MissChris Junior Member

US
    English
    I hadn't thought of it that way but it seems I insist on it because it's what I'd say in English ;) You definitely got me there!
    But you've given me great options anyway so I'm sure I can find a way to use them :)
    Thanks!

7. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Can you specify why these do not work for you and what kind of additional "variants" you are looking for? Better yet, if you provide context and background (which BTW are required by the forum rules), you will get better results.

8. MissChris Junior Member

US
    English
    I did and e2-e4 X got me sorted out, thanks.

9. Vektus

Vektus Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    MissChris, if you want to underline the sense by using "back" you can add "назад" or "обратно" to the phrase.
    Ложись назад в кровать
    Иди обратно в кровать

More colloquial variant to express a suggestion is by using "давай" (an expression to "let's" in some cases, but "let's" in English usually means doing something together, in colloquial Russian it works for both plural and singular, and can soften an offer a little so it won't sound like an order)
    Давай (давай-ка) обратно в кровать!

It also can mean both plural and singular form - Давай-ка (мы вернемся) в кровать. Давай-ка (ты вернешься) в кровать.