Reverse Engineering

Discussion in 'English Only' started by marcia123, Jul 27, 2006.

1. marcia123

marcia123 Junior Member

USA
    Brasil - portugues
    Can someone tell me what is Reverse Engineering?

Thanks

Mars

2. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    Hi Marcia,

Reverse Engineering is the process of analysing something in order to determine how to make it yourself.

Here's a link that explains this in further detail.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Reverse engineering lasagne means working out the recipe for the sauce - and the pasta.

4. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Yes, but unless you are in a chemist's lab, or are a true gourmet, can you really reverse engineer a liquid?

How can you tell how many dashes of salt and how many tsps of freshly chopped basil and how much sugar was added? Not to mention whether the tomatoes used were of the organic garden-fresh variety, or canned. I guess my palate isn't that refined.

My husband loves to "reverse engineer." Our house and garage are continually filled with bits and parts of gadgets, camera equipment in particular, that he has managed to take apart.

There's an old story about that guy who tried to take his motorbike apart, only to find out when he put it back together, he had one leftover screw...

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I have successfully reverse engineered knoblauchcremesuppe (but not the spelling) and a fascinating salmon dish of Paul Rankin's.

Reverse engineering is not a matter of taking something apart and putting it back together again successfully. The essence of the art is that it requires a series of interdependent assumptions, an element of inspiration, and a leap into the unknown.

Hence the enchantment of:

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Do you take delight in cooking, panjandrum?

7. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    Garlic cream soup? Yum! Guaranteed to keep all the vampires at bay.

8. marcia123

marcia123 Junior Member

USA
    Brasil - portugues
    Brioche is interesting that you mentioned reverse engineering of lasagne, my husband is a chef and that's what he does for living, he works for a Multionational Food Co. doing research and development, he gets to match competitors recipes.

9. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    When I taught accounting to MBA students, we often did "reverse engineering" exercises that entailed figuring out certain underlying transactions that led to a company's published financial results. As with cooking, you have to make some assumptions and approximations. :)

Elisabetta

10. marcia123

marcia123 Junior Member

USA
    Brasil - portugues
    Wikipedia discribes Reverse Engineering as pulling a certain object a part and rebuilding it using the parts.
    So I guess it is also possible to mentaly pull something a part and figure out how to build it correct?

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Wiki doesn't quite say that ...

12. marcia123

marcia123 Junior Member

USA
    Brasil - portugues
    :D Thank you for the elucidation.

Mars

13. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I'm surprised a thread on this topic can go 12 posts without a mention of Bill Gates and Windows.

One way to commit intellectual-property theft is to monstrosify it to the point where a jury of laymen can't follow the process by which the pirated original was morphed into something not-really-else.

Problem for the consumer is, all that complexity makes for a rube-goldbergesque simulacrum of what was once a smooth-running machine.

What am I talking about? Google "reverse engineering" and "microsoft" and "apple" and find reams of explanation.