1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Lestat_De_Valois Junior Member

Paris.
    Français de France (French)
    Hi there, I don't understand this expression that I heard in a Manfred Man song called "blinded by the light".
    There it is:

Blinded by the light,
    revved up like a deuce,
    runner in the night
    Blinded by the light,
    revved up like a deuce,
    another runner in the night

First of all, I never quite understood what exactly deuce meant (for instance, Stewie, the little boy from Family Guy, saying what's the deuce), plus, I never heard about revved up, so I'm extremely confused. ^^

Thanks for your help. :)

2. gillyfr Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    English - England
    revved up is from motoring - you pump the accelerator to get the engine running faster (create more revolutions = tours en français)

deuce = devil, in this case - very old (Dickens)

3. Lestat_De_Valois Junior Member

Paris.
    So it's like:
    what's the deuce = what's the heck/hell

So would revved up like a deuce means like a very excited / nervous devil ? or more like a screaming devil ?

4. gillyfr Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    English - England
    people also used to say, what the devil.

Yes, your interpretation looks ok to me. But that's something I've always found funny, that French people absolutely have to know what a song means. I guess it comes from a long history of chansons à texte, but we English-speakers are really not that bothered what songs mean. They're not poetry, they're rock music! :)

5. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    I don't know the Manfred Mann version very well but in the original version (Springsteen) the line goes:

Cut loose like a deuce

something like: se laisse transporter comme un fou

6. Lestat_De_Valois Junior Member

Paris.
    Yep, thanks guys.

Actually gillyfr, I'm not that fond of knowking about what songs mean, cause like you said, music is music, not poetry, and I like a music for its beat, not for its lyrics (very rarely).
    The thing is I'm doing some body pump session, and we play this song over and over again, and I just wanted to know what it means, since it was quite weird to me :D

Thanks Mgarizona for your version, it sounds pretty meaningful. :)

7. ItalianGoddess New Member

London, England
    English, Italian.
    I'm quite sure in the lyrics 'revved up like a deuce' actually refers to a Ford Coupe known as 'The Deuce' as slang which was still popular in the 60's and 70's. As it can be revved up and it can run 'another runner in the night'.

Hope that clears things up for people.

8. deliadame Senior Member

France
    Sorry for bringing this up again, I agree with Italiangoddess and I would like to know if there is a French slang equivalent for that type of vehicle called "a Deuce" (old american army truck).

Dans l'argot des véhicules, je vois "dodoche" pour la célèbre "deux-chevaux", mais rien pour un camion militaire (le fameux camion bâché kaki bien connu du cinéma américain).

Des idées ? Merci d'avance !

9. dws New Member

French
    bonjour,
    lorsque mon mari a fait son service militaire,on appelait le camion baché un "bebert" diminutif d'une des marques càd Berliet

10. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

Paris
    English - Ireland
    C'est pas relié....mais j'adore cette chanson!

A 'deuce' is also any of the '2's in a pack of French suited cards, 2 of hearts, 2 of diamonds, 2 of clubs, 2 of spades - all deuces.

Aerosmith have a song called 'Deuces Are Wild'

11. TheMadChalker New Member

English
    The original Springsteen Lyric is "Cut Loose like a deuce" as a few have mentioned above. However, if you have ever lived in the Jersey/New York area (Springsteen's home) you would know that "Cut loose like a deuce" is a common slang phrase to describe dumping your girlfriend or boyfriend or to describe anything you want to get rid of, as in "Thrown away like a low card in draw poker" (deuce = 2, as Chris said) eg:

"Hey, Joey.. what happened to Maryann?"
    "Ahhh I cut her loose like a deuce"

or

"Hey Louie, did you get fired?"
    "Yeah.. They cut me loose like a deuce"

Some can argue that the deuce refers to the Ford Deuce Coupe, however I've heard the "low card" reference like in the examples above only about a zillion times.

The following line "Another runner in the night" refers to running home after a breakup or bad date, as stated again in a later song performed by Maynard Williams and the band "Ryder" titled, "Runner In The Night" So what you've got here with "Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night" is "She was dumped from her relationship and ran home"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  12. Lestat_De_Valois Junior Member

Paris.
    That's very interesting. Thanks for this additional explanation. ^^

13. beidsvold New Member

English
    I'm sorry for the age of this post, but it's one of my favorites and would like to chime in.The phrase is the same as a Coyote Ugly... Blinded by the light (bar lights too dim) Cut loose like a deuce (dropped everything as soon as he realized what he woke up to) Another runner in the night (ran like hell just like everyone else in the situation). The cover was a misunderstanding of the meaning and was changed to the automobile reference instead.