rezstrzygnięcie wyborów in English

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by guniang, Mar 28, 2012.

1. guniang Senior Member

The sentence is:
    Niemieckie media podały, że liderzy czterech krajów porozumieli się nieoficjalnie, że żaden z nich nie spotka się z X przed rozstrzygnięciem wyborów.

Is my try correct?
    The German media revealed that the leaders of four countries had settled unofficially that none of them would meet X before the result of French election has been known / before the result of French election is known (?) .

Thank you for your help

2. NotNow Senior Member

English
    The German media has announced that the leaders of four countries have unofficially come to an understanding that none of them will meet X before the election is decided.

3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Why singular 'has' with media when the Polish sentence uses plural?
    (And with the accelerating tendency in English to pluralize subjects grammatically singular (the police have, and like)).

4. I also believe "the media" should go with a plural auxiliary.

5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I agree with NotNow. It sounds very good. You can also say that they have agreed instead of they have come to an understanding. I think this might be better. They have unofficially agreed. As to the media it can either be plural or singular. From a purely grammatical point of view it should be singular, but either one is good.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. NotNow Senior Member

English
    I used the singular form after the word media because it is more common in English than the plural. Although it is plural, media is hardly used as such.

7. Oletta

Oletta Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    That's a gross exaggeration. It's true that "has" seems to be more popular with journalists, but "have" can be seen fairly often. Also, media can take both singular and plural but most of the natives who contributed to the thread linked by Oletta prefer "have" to has". Interestingly, the papers appear to consider "media" plural.
    And yet, "has" is used with media more often. I wouldn't go so far as to say that media is HARDLY used as plural, though.
    have - 11,100 hints
    has - 19,300

9. NotNow Senior Member

English
    I also changed the number of the word election. Does that merit endless discussion, too?

10. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Why do do you get upset?

11. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I didn't say it merits a discussion. It merits a mention, though, that most of the people prefer "has" to "have" and the former is used in the papers reasonably often. Does that qualify as hardly? Perhaps "hardly" has taken on a new meaning, and it didn't come to my attention yet...

I made my point - that's what the internet forums are for, in case you didn't notice.

12. POLSKAdoBOJU Senior Member

Hamilton, Canada
    Canadian English, Polish
    From a purely grammatical point of view media should be plural - medium is the singular form.

13. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, medius is singular but not in English. It could either be plural or singular. I think it should be singular here because media is treated as a collective noun here not separate media. The press is, sort of. It can be either one as I said. There is a tendency to use the singular more in certain contexts.