1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

rhyme vs. rhythm

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vido, Dec 10, 2008.

1. vido Senior Member

It's not clear what the difference between these two words is. Could someone give examples?

2. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Hi vido,

These two words are really not at all close in meaning. Can you tell us what you have discovered about these words when you have looked them up in dictionaries?

I'm not going to simply cut and paste the definition of each of these words from the Word Reference dictionary, as the forums are not supposed to act as a substitute for you looking these words up yourself, so without further information on why you find these words confusing its not really possible to help you.

3. vido Senior Member

Hi, thanks, cycloneviv. For example, when you talk about the movements in swimming, you say:

Swim in _____
    Develope a _____
    ?

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    vido, perhaps you can quote the dictionary definitions that you find confusing. Like cycloneviv, I am a little surprised that you find the difference unclear, as the two words do not mean the same thing, and just about any dictionary would explain the difference. What dictionaries (because more than one can be found on line) did you consult before you asked this question?

5. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Which, from your dictionary research, do you believe fits? To give you a hint, only one is at all appropriate. The other clearly would not work.

6. vido Senior Member

Well I've read it as "rhythm" so I guess that's the correct word :). Now I realize perhaps "rhyme" is only used to talk about words, such as poetry?

7. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    You've got it. :) "Rhyme" refers to words, while "rhythm" can be used in many situations.