right translation of ' привлекло'

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by onitamo, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onitamo Senior Member

Järna, Sweden
    Serbo-Croatian
    Hello,
    Please, can you help me to find out right translation, but I cannot properly write whole sentence in Russian.
    I can write only this werb 'привлекло'. I found translation 'attracted' which doesn't fit, I feel ,for my translation.
    I am translating Russian documentary video 'Nikola Tesla and Tunguska Invasion', from Serbian.
    I understand little Russian too.
    There is sentence which say:

"U.S. government 'привлекло' a scientist for secret military development(разработком) until the end of his life..???

Serbian translation of Russian in this context was 'forced'(prisilila) = 'привлекло' and I feel is not right.
    How this could be right translated?
    Did US gov. engaged,? involved? Tesla in work of secret military developments?(разработком) until the end of his life???
    I don't feel that 'attracted' is right translation of привлекло here.
    Maybe it is..you can say..
    Thank you!

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Can you provide the whole sentence in Russian? You really have to provide it in Russian, because the other parts of the sentence seem to be translated phrase by phrase.

3. Descendant

Descendant Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Sorry, onitamo, I cannot make out from which langauge (Serbian?) you are translating into Russian?

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Привлекать = attract only in the sense of "to attract attention".
    "Got involved" or "draw in" seems the most appropriate in the case.

5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Please clarify:
    Which the source language is;
    Which the target language is;

and provide the WHOLE original sentence (not just one word), thanks.

6. onitamo Senior Member

Järna, Sweden
    Serbo-Croatian
    LilianaB wrote:
    You are right Liliana but I am sorry I cannot write all sentence in Russian,(not yet, I am learning.
    I found somehow only this 2 words to write by help of google translate Russian typewriter.Rest of the sentence I understand .It is similar to Serbo-Croatian.:)

Dear Descendant, I am translating from Serbian translation of Russian into English.I can also little check Serbian translation, listening original Russian which I globally understand, because 2 languages are familiar.:)

Thank you Maroseika, you understood me,although I couldn't express all in Russian , but 'drew in' maybe would fit the best.
    Is it Ok development=разработком)?
    For разработкоm I got 2 translations. 'working' and 'development' , I don't know what to put..
    Here is sentence as google made transcription..('разработкоm' is not there but I heard narrator is saying and I found how to write to tell you.. :)

"правительство соединенных штатов,привлекала ученого к сверхсекретной военному (разработкоm) до конца его жизни."

what is meaning here 'сверхсекретной'?
    can I translate above sentence into English like this:

U.S.government drew in the scientist in (work with) secret military development until the end of his life.

7. LiseR Junior Member

Riga
    Latvian
    сверхсекретная - super-secret/top-secret

разработком - there is not such word in Russian or word-declension, there is only разработка meaning development, working, elaboration

8. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Yes.
    I'm not sure this is the right place to correct Google translation. You should either do this yourself or look for help in other place.
    Prefix сверх- means super-.

9. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Exactly. WR is not a proofreading service :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.