right vs entitlement

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by emanuela77, Dec 29, 2009.

1. emanuela77 Senior Member

Hi all,

can you please tell me the difference between 'right and entitlement'?
    I know both mean diritto but I'd like to use a different translation for them.

2. novizio Senior Member

"Diritto inalienabile (naturale)' vs, "diritto per legge"?
  3. emanuela77 Senior Member

Grazie mille,

è possibile sostituire la parola DIRITTO?
    Sto traducendo un testo dove di trovano entrambi i nomi (rights and entitlemens) in inglese e non volevo usare la stessa parola in una frase italiana.

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    I'm not so sure.
    I think rights are intrinsic things that you are allowed to do
    the right to a job, the right to hold hands with whomever you please.
    Entitlement is something you have earned or is owed to you.
    I am entitled to a job because I have worked here so long.
    He always had a problem with entitlement, he thought he didn't deserve anything.
    Am I off the mark?
  5. novizio Senior Member

Hi, Rose. I thought that the reference was to the more legal differences between a "natural" right and a legislated right. Certainly "right" and "entitlement" have very generic (and self-interpreted) definitions as you suggest. In the work environment I often encounter differences between what someone else thinks is their "right" or what they are "entitled to" and often the issues are relatively minor.
  6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I think rrose is right. I have the right to go out and return home whenever I like; if you do a job and pay contributions you are entitled to a pension. But you can also say that you have a right to a pension.
    I'd say that in unofficial language you can usually substitute entitlement with right, but when speaking about fundamental, natural rights you can't say entitlement, which is something earned or calculated, according to what you've done in a given situation.
  7. Chris Corbyn

Chris Corbyn Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    English - UK
    So to summarize an entitlement is basically a "conditional" right :)

It's interesting, I'd never really thought about the differences... they're "almost" synonyms.
  8. milanoinnevata Senior Member

Italia (Milano)
    Potresti provare con "avere diritto" e "avere titolo". La seconda espressione non necessariamente suona bene in tutti i contesti, ma si coglie quella differenza tra diritto generico e diritto acquisito grazie a una legge, una prestazione ecc.
  9. emanuela77 Senior Member

First of all Happy New Year everyone!

Second, thank you very much for your messages, you've been very explanatory.
    I can translate the right as a diritto and the entitlement as a diritto legale...perhaps?