Ripristinare le tracce

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Milvia, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Milvia Senior Member

Northern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Ripristinare le tracce (fatte in seguito a lavori stradali)

Le "tracce" sono i tagli fatti nell'asfalto per la posa di cavi o tubature.
    Ho trovato la parola "chase" per tracce (se è corretta) ma non so come rendere la frase.
    "Re-establish chase/chases"????? Fill up chase?

Grazie a chi volesse darmi una mano.

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Cosa vuol dire "ripristinare le tracce" ?

3. Milvia Senior Member

Northern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Il "ripristino" delle tracce è il riempimento con pietrisco od altro materiale e la copertura con un mano di asfalto (conglomerato bituminoso). Lo vediamo fare in continuazione nelle nostre "strade colabrodo".

4. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I would talk of "filling in the holes", or of "restoring the road surface", or both even :

"The gas company have been laying new pipes in our road, but they've done a really poor job of restoring the road surface."

"The water company fixed the leak in the street all right, but they didn't fill in the hole properly, and now the road surface is collapsing under weight of passing vehicles."

5. Milvia Senior Member

Northern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Restoring the road surface sounds good to me. Thanks.
    Whilst you're at it, I wonder if you could tell me whether the word "chase" means anything to you in this context? If it does, could you please give me a couple of examples? (chase meaning "traccia")

6. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Hi Milvia,

regarding the word "chase", which I noticed you used in your initial post, you are correct in the general concept.

The Oxford English Dictionary says of this meaning:
    and then gives a more detailed case (among others):
    However, I have never heard or seen it used in the context of roadwork. I suspect that the preferred word for such a long, narrow excavation in the ground would be a trench.

I would use chase, both as a noun and as a verb, mainly in the context of grooves cut into building surfaces (typically, into walls or the plaster covering of a wall).
    "The power cables can be laid in a chase which runs along the bottom of then wall; they can then be plastered over".
    "We can cut a chase up the wall, and bury the pipework in that."

7. Milvia Senior Member

Northern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Thanks a lot Baldplate.
    It's all clear now.

In Italian we use "traccia" for both walls and roads and this is probably what misled me. :)