1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"risk it to get biscuit"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rkbala, Sep 23, 2009.

1. rkbala Junior Member

INDIA, Chennai
    India - Hindi & English
    What does "risk it to get to the biscuit"/"risk it to get biscuit" mean?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I don't know from experience because it's the first time I've heard it. But it sounds like "no risk, no reward" to me. In other words, you won't gain anything without taking a chance.

I like it because of the "iskit" sounds in "riskit" and "bisquit," but then I'm a sucker for clever alliteration.

I would put an article in the phrase: "risk it to get a biscuit" or, as a sentence, "You have to risk it to get a biscuit" (which is 5 syllables in each thought: 1) You have to risk it, 2) to get a biscuit).

Another reason I like it is that the reward is bread-related... all part of that "earning a crust" or "give us this day our daily bread." Food is one of the most basic rewards of life, and bread is one of the most basic foods. So biscuit becomes a metaphor for reward here.

Have I said I've never heard this expression before? :) That's true, but it will be understandable to many who haven't heard it, which makes it both creative and effective... a nice combination.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    I know the expression as "risk it for a biscuit" and it just means to take a chance, the reward may or may not exist and its value is not referred to in the phrase.

edit: Apparently it originated as an ad for something called Swisscuit in the 70s where kids would dare one another to do things with said confectionary as a prize.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Thanks for the background. I knew someone with some knowledge would jump in here. :)

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    :thumbsup: Ditto. (I couldnt've told you the origin of it, though.)

6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I have heard the expression risk it for a Swiskit - a friend of mine says it quite regularly, but I didn't know its origin.

A look on Google suggests that this was an advertising slogan for an early kind of muesli bar called Swiskit (for Swiss biscuit I suppose - muesli being associated with Switzerland). Swiskit seems to be the commonest spelling on-line, but I couldn't find any reliable confirmation that that was the original spelling.
    http://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/television/1056-ill-risk-swiskit.html
    http://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/adverts/2367-karen-o.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Ahem ~ your attention is drawn to post #3, Teddy;)

8. BDuncan New Member

US English
    I'm glad someone asked this question, it's a phrase that came up when I was in highschool that I didn't recognize. One of our "fun" teachers would use it sarcastically, when a student would brag that they had done well, she would say "good job, get biscuit".