"risk it to get biscuit"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rkbala, Sep 23, 2009.

1. rkbala Junior Member

INDIA, Chennai
    India - Hindi & English
    What does "risk it to get to the biscuit"/"risk it to get biscuit" mean?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I don't know from experience because it's the first time I've heard it. But it sounds like "no risk, no reward" to me. In other words, you won't gain anything without taking a chance.

I like it because of the "iskit" sounds in "riskit" and "bisquit," but then I'm a sucker for clever alliteration.

I would put an article in the phrase: "risk it to get a biscuit" or, as a sentence, "You have to risk it to get a biscuit" (which is 5 syllables in each thought: 1) You have to risk it, 2) to get a biscuit).

Another reason I like it is that the reward is bread-related... all part of that "earning a crust" or "give us this day our daily bread." Food is one of the most basic rewards of life, and bread is one of the most basic foods. So biscuit becomes a metaphor for reward here.

Have I said I've never heard this expression before? :) That's true, but it will be understandable to many who haven't heard it, which makes it both creative and effective... a nice combination.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    I know the expression as "risk it for a biscuit" and it just means to take a chance, the reward may or may not exist and its value is not referred to in the phrase.

edit: Apparently it originated as an ad for something called Swisscuit in the 70s where kids would dare one another to do things with said confectionary as a prize.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Thanks for the background. I knew someone with some knowledge would jump in here. :)

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    :thumbsup: Ditto. (I couldnt've told you the origin of it, though.)

6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I have heard the expression risk it for a Swiskit - a friend of mine says it quite regularly, but I didn't know its origin.

A look on Google suggests that this was an advertising slogan for an early kind of muesli bar called Swiskit (for Swiss biscuit I suppose - muesli being associated with Switzerland). Swiskit seems to be the commonest spelling on-line, but I couldn't find any reliable confirmation that that was the original spelling.
    http://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/television/1056-ill-risk-swiskit.html
    http://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/adverts/2367-karen-o.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Ahem ~ your attention is drawn to post #3, Teddy;)

8. BDuncan New Member

US English
    I'm glad someone asked this question, it's a phrase that came up when I was in highschool that I didn't recognize. One of our "fun" teachers would use it sarcastically, when a student would brag that they had done well, she would say "good job, get biscuit".