ritmo sinusal / AQRS / ST-T

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by tillymarigold, Jul 12, 2006.

1. tillymarigold Senior Member

US
    US/English
    Field and topic:
    Historial médico y lista de los estudios realizados con los resultados.

Encontré los demás términos, solo me faltan lo de ritmo sinusal, AQRS y ST-T.
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    ECG: Ritmo sinusal 84/min; AQRS 17; PR 173; QTc 410; anormalidad auricular izquierdo; cambios inespecíficos en el ST-T.

Mi intento:
    ECG: Heartbeat 84/min; AQRS 17; PR 173; QTc 410; abnormality of the left atrium; unspecified changes in the ST-T.

2. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola Tilly,
    Ritmo sinusal, es el ritmo normal del corazón, en inglés es "normal sinus rhythm",
    AQRS, Eje QRS
    ST, Segmento ST

Saludos!

3. tillymarigold Senior Member

US
    US/English
    Thank you so much for the "sinus rhythm" (are you sure it should be "normal"? isn't the issue here that they don't know if it's normal? or does "normal" refer to the normal rate for the patient, not whether the patient's rate is normal in the sense of "healthy"?) and for posting that link.

Unfortunately, I'm sorry, but understanding that explanation (grateful as I am for it) is way beyond my medical knowledge. I mean, I get that the AQRS has something to do with the QRS and the ST-T has something to do with the ST segment, but I'm afraid that's really no help in working out how to translate "AQRS" and "ST-T." I don't suppose you have any idea what the whole translation of those two phrases would be?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  4. köttr New Member

Italy
    In case anyone happens to read this thread, in any month of any year :):

These terms refer to specific features of the ECG (i.e. parts of the tracing) which is divided into "waves" called Q, R, S, T and U.
    When there are two or more letters, it means the whole stretch (ST = the interval from the S wave to the T wave)

Without going into further details, exactly the same acronyms are used in English, Spanish, French, Italian (and many many other languages)

Heartbeat does not truly correspond to 'normal' sinusal rhythm (heartbeats per minute only indicate how many times the heart is beating on average, so any living person has a heartbeat, but people with a heart condition may well have a disrupted, non-normal rhythm), but in this case it is ok since the Spanish actually gave a frequency
    - also, I would translate inespecificos as "non-specific" rather than "unspecified", because (as far as I know) it actually means "not typical of any (single) specific disease"

So I would say:

ECG: Heartbeat 84/min; AQRS (= axis of the "QRS complex") 17; PR (= PR interval) 173; QTc (= QT interval, c for "corrected") 410; abnormality of the left atrium; unspecified changes in the ST-T (= in the ST-T interval).

5. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

And, a small observation:
    In the hospital where I work, they often prefer to use the abbreviation "EKG" for electrocardiogram. Supposedly, there could be some confusion with "EEG" (electroencephalogram) what with the legendary illegible doctor's scrawls... I mean, handwriting.
    Or so they say.

6. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hi Tilly,

The text that Kottrr is given is very helpfull.

7. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola Daniel,

Tiens razón, se me habia pasado,
    Electrocardiograma (ECG) = electrocardiogram (EKG)

8. tillymarigold Senior Member

US
    US/English
    I learned EKG also, but I've heard "ECG" a lot more frequently recently. I was in the ER not too long ago, and they were telling the man next to me they were going to take him for his ECG. And I have a friend who's a doctor and he always talks about doing an ECG on his patients. Actually, I think I'll email him and see what he says. Also, not that Wikipedia is definitive, it does list ECG as primary and EKG as secondary.

Thanks Köttr, Danielfranco and Fsabroso!

9. reflejo Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    No entiendo muy bien la sample sentence. Normalmente conviene especificar las unidades de medida y no sé muy bien qué hace en una descripción de un ECG/EKG una descripción de una anomalía anatómica

Mi intento
    EKG: Sinus rythm at 84/min; AQRS +17º; PR 173 ms; QTc 410 ms; left atrium abnormality(???); non-specific changes in theST-T segment.

Un saludo,