rizs - rizsa

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by esterov, Nov 14, 2011.

1. esterov New Member

Hello everyone,
    I need to translate into Hungarian product description "biscuit with rice and milk".
    I think it would be "RIZSÁVAL ÉS TEJJEL KÉSZÜLT KEKSZ", is that correct? I'm not sure of suffix concordances.
    Thank's in adavance
  2. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I don't see a grammar problem there, but maybe rizses és tejes keksz would be better. Wait for more knowledgeable people to turn up.
  3. Olivier0 Senior Member

français - France
    Yes, rizses-tejes or rizzsel, tejjel, but not rizsával = with rizsa, rizsázás which means useless/deceitful speech. :)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungarian - Hungary
    Olivier0 is right but I am fairly sure that there is an old (now obsolete) usage rizsa in the meaning of rice.
    (The present day word is rizs for rice.)
  5. bibax Senior Member

I have found many examples where rizsával means 'with rice' (rántott hús, rizsával vagy krumplival). Now I have also learned that rizsa means 'shit' nowadays. However it does not sound strange to me as in Czech we say "být v rejži", lit. 'to be in rice', which means something like "benne van a csávában (pácban)".

Is it possible that the original meaning of rizsa was simply 'rice'?
  6. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungarian - Hungary
    As far as I know only in the sense of rubbish (especially talk and a lot of it, too, in order to mislead/sidetrack the listener) in colloquial speech.

This is exactly what I was referring to (just above), although I cannot decide if it's simply old or in old and folk speech.:)
  7. francisgranada Senior Member

I think yes, and e.g. in Košice/Kassa I have heard both rizsa and rizs in the sense of rice.
  8. Norfren Junior Member

Hungarian - Hungary
    I second this, in East Hungary it can be heard quite often, too.
  9. ragazzo323 New Member

What does Zsanna mean by "misleading talk"?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  10. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungarian - Hungary
    Well, it could be: double Dutch, meaningless swift talk, mumbo-jumbo, hot air, rigmarole... but with the aim of misleading someone, or turn his attention away from something (uncomfortable) for the speaker.

A simple example:
    Mummy sees Johnny come in too late at night. Before she could start scolding him, he pretends to be happy to see her and starts off telling her about how he met their neighbour and how he was charmed by her roses in the front garden and wanting to know exactly how much compost she used on them, etc. etc.

All that speech could be called "rizsa" in Hungarian because (apart from being a lie probably) the main aim of it was just to ward off an unpleasant telling off.
    In a worse case, it could be making somebody do something he didn't want to do originally or for cheating him/her.
  11. ragazzo323 New Member

Thank you very much Zsanna. :thumbsup: