1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

road of death

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ilocas2, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ilocas2 Senior Member

Hello,

The road with many car accidents is called silnice smrti (road of death) in Czech.

Do you have expression "road of death" or some other nickname for dangerous road in your language? Thanks

2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi ilocas2,

In Greek we call it «δρόμος-καρμανιόλα» ['ðromos karma'ɲola] --> road-carmagnole

«Δρόμος» ['ðromos] (masc.) --> road, course < Classical masc. noun «δρόμος» drómŏs --> run, race, course (PIE *drem-/ *dreh₂-, run cf Skt. द्रवति (dravati), run)

«Καρμανιόλα» [karma'ɲola] (fem.) < Fr. carmagnole, a song associated during the period of Terror in the French Revolution (La Terreur) with violence and mass executions

A cliché expression overused by the mass media here, when reffering to a young person's tragic death from traffic-related accident is,
    «Έγινε θυσία στο Μολώχ της ασφάλτου» ['eʝine θi'sia sto mo'lox tis as'faltu] --> [s/he] was sacrificed to Moloch [the god] of asphalt (an expression I personally despise)

3. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Not in Russian, as far as I know. The expression "дорога смерти" (road of death) would rather make me think of a death march.

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Actually дорога смерти is widely used in modern Russian exactly in the car accidents sense (just google it).

5. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Interesting, thanks. I wouldn't guess. :D:eek: By modern, do you mean it was not used earlier in, like, 1980s? I see, in Google it appears in a variety of related senses, and in the exact sense of high car accident risk it is applied mostly to one specific road in Bolivia.

6. mataripis Senior Member

Site or place of frequent accident. In Tagalog " Dako ng malimit na Sakuna". I read in sign board "Laging may aksidente" but the correct one is " Laging may sakuna, Mag ingat sa pagmamaneho".

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'm not sure, but it seems to me this expression in this sense has appeared only since 90s. For example I clearly remember Moscow Ring Road was called like that before reconstruction in the middle of 90s.

8. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Slovenia
    Cro, Slo
    German:
    road of death . Strasse des Todes

Slovenian:
    road of death - cests smrti

Croatian:
    road of death - cesta smrti (like in Slovenian)

9. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I've heard the expression "blood alley" used as a nickname for several dangerous roads here in the state of California.

The famous 1950's actor James Dean was killed in an accident on one of California's most notorious "blood alleys."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/02/local/la-me-james-dean-20100926

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  10. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "Dead Man's Curve" is another common phrase in American English. There's even a song by Jan & Dean (who also sing Surf City and Little Old Lady from Pasadena).

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch we'd avoid that term, I think: de straat van de dood sounds so ominous, etc. De dodenstraat sounds even more awkward to me...

12. biala Junior Member

hebrew
    In Hebrew "Derech HaMavet is the translation of Camino de la Muerte - death road - in Bolivia.
    However the police term for roads with many accidents are כבישים אדומים - (Kvishim Adumim) which means "red roads".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    דרך המוות זה מקום ספציפי
    http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%93%D7%A8%D7%9A_%D7%94%D7%99%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%92%D7%90%D7%A1
    but other than that its good. +1 on the info of the red roads.

14. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese I've heard curva da morte, curve of death.

15. SuperXW Senior Member

In Chinese, it's rather a "point/dot":
    交通黑点: "traffic black point".

16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian -- halálkanyar [halál death kanyar curve]

17. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Japanese: Si No Michi[death/of/road:the road of death] but I've not heard that expression ever.

18. Luxiaofeng New Member

HCMC
    Vietnamese
    Vietnamese: "Cung đường tử thần" (Road of the Saint Death). Sometimes used by Press & Media "điểm đen giao thông" (Lit. The traffic blackspot for "Accident blackspot" in English).

LXF.

19. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello Luxiaofeng and welcome to the forum. Thank you for your cooperation and we hope to see you here in All Languages forum a lot. :)

20. Luxiaofeng New Member

HCMC
    Vietnamese
    Thanks Encolpius. :)

Cheers,
    LXF.