robić jesienne porządki w ogrodzie

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by wolfbm1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Witam.
    Robię jesienne porządki w moim ogrodzie.
    I'm doing some autumn cleaning in my garden.

Czy dobrze?

2. DW

DW Senior Member

Polish
    I'd probably go for something like,
    • I'm doing my fall garden cleanup.

If you don't want to strictly translate what you wrote in Polish, I'd recommend playing a little with words and trying something like,
    • I'm putting the/my garden to bed.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Ania R. Senior Member

Poznań, Poland
    Polish (Poland)
    Your sentence is perfectly fine, but like O The DW-cum-LS-cum-RB suggested, you might wanna try and run a little wild wirh this one :)

4. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Maybe:
    I'm protecting/covering my plants with a duvet for winter.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. DW

DW Senior Member

Polish
    To be honest, I guess many people - including me - hearing this would be like, "You're... what???", the "what" being the operative word. :D

For me, you went too far and probably took the wrong path wanting this to be poetic.

On the other hand, after mulling it over for a while, I came to a conclusion that if you express this in the way you proposed, there will be probably two reactions you could get - the first one I gave at the very beginning of the post and the second one that would be like, "Hey man, are you covering it all up with a garden foil on your own?", since the "duvet" could be literally understood as a foil.

Well, if you feel like playing a bit with words, I guess you'd be probably better off sticking to the version "I'm putting the/my garden to bed.". You know, frankly, it's not my very own idea for expressing this. I guess I came across this phrase in a certain article from this September.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Ania R. Senior Member

Poznań, Poland
    Polish (Poland)
    I agree, the last one is too literal and if you use the wrong word nobody is going to understand what you mean. I would go for something more general like what O The DW-cum-LS-cum-RB suggested, or even what you wrote initially. You might also just say I'm preparing my garden for the winter or something like that, if you really mean covering the plants and doing other preparations to make sure the plants survive the cold temperatures.

7. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I just tried to play with words in response to Ania's suggestion and to the saying you brought about.
    Anyway, if snow makes a cosy duvet for plants, why not use leaves, twigs and pieces of bark for the same purpose. In this way we can "put our plants to bed."

8. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you, Ania. I think I could say:
    Right now I'm busy preparing my garden for the winter.

9. Ania R. Senior Member

Poznań, Poland
    Polish (Poland)
    Yeah, that sounds OK :)