1. undru17 New Member

Southern California
    English - California, U.S.A.
    ¿qué es la diferencia entre las palabras rojo y colorado?

2. termes Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    No hay diferencia. En realidad son sinónimos.

3. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    I've noticed that in Mexican Spanish the word «colorado» is often used with the meaning of «rojo» for the color red. (Examples: chile colorado, pelo colorado, camisa colorada, boina colorada, vino colorado, etc)
    Is this true of other dialects of Spanish?
    Are the terms always interchangeable?
    Does anyone have an explanation for this substitution?
    Gracias por cualquier información

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Yes. they're pretty much interchangeable. I think it depends on the person's preference. However "rojo" is much more commonly used. We wouldn't say for example "sangre colorada" but "sangre roja". There must be many other examples where we only use "rojo".

Expressions like "hombre pelicolorado" and "hombre pelirrojo" are always interchangeable.

I wouldn't say "vino colorado" I normally say "vino tinto" or "vino rojo".
    :)

5. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Thank you micafe.
    It appears that the meaning of "red" (rojo) associated with the word "colored" (colorado) does not occur in other Romance languages. In Latin, Portuguese, Italian, and French (colorato, colorido, colorato, and coloré respectively) the word only conveys the meaning of "colored".
    How is it, I wonder, that it picked up the meaning of "red" in Spanish?

6. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    This is what I found in Wikipedia. Apparently "colorado" was already in use when people started to use the word "rojo". Interesting...

<<El término «rojo» comenzó a usarse regularmente en idioma castellano durante el siglo XV; en la Edad Media yaexistía, pero era de uso poco común. De acuerdo con el filólogo Joan Corominas,«rojo» significaba antiguamente un color rojizo, mientras que lasdenominaciones tradicionales del color de la sangre eran «bermejo», «colorado» y «encarnado». >>

:)

7. arcaismos New Member

english
    is colorado only used by mexican-americans such as la blusa colorada, la falda colorado, el vestido colorado? or is it used like this too in rural areas of latin america/

8. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    From the DRAE:

And, to the best of my knowledge, "colorado" as a synonym of "red/redish" is still widely ised in Spain and many Latin American countries.

9. Rondivu Senior Member

Regardless of what DRAE says, I never use "colorado" for colours and never heard it used in this way by Spaniards.
    Se puso colorado (He/she went red in the face).
    El coche es rojo (not "colorado").

Sorry, Oldy Nuts :)

Edit:
    Also, "se puso rojo" for " se puso colorado" is fine, so I guess here they are interchangeable, but I never use "colorado" to describe a table, for example.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    According to what you say, shouldn't it be Se puso rojo (not "colorado")?

My statement is based on the sayings of several Latin American and Spanish participants on a recent discussion on this in a thread that was eliminated.

11. Rondivu Senior Member

My apologies Oldy Nuts. Please note that I have edited my previous post.
    Anyway, I never use "colorado" to describe an object other than parts of the body. (Tienes las manos coloradas/La cara colorada)

Saludos cordiales

12. pitivw Senior Member

Galicia
    Spain, Spanish
    Not 100 % agree with Rondivu.
    We usually use "colorado" as not defined red color -reddish. "Llevaba un abrigo colorado". So the coat is reddish but not necessarily red.
    In the past, the Colorado River was named so because of reddish color of the water. See http://www.voyagesphotosmanu.com/geografia_rio_colorado.html

To Oldy Nuts,
    We can use both "se puso rojo" and "colorado" Se puso colorado "
    but I agree it´s more specific "colorado" to design parts of the body.
    When we are using "rojo" to describe shame we usully add "como un tomate".
    "se puso rojo como un tomate" (Shame)
    see explanation at http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/ca...ons-proverbs/56/ponerse-a-como-un-tomate.html

13. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Thanks for your explanation, pitivw. My remark was due to Rondivu's emphatic statement

which to me is contradictory with the phrase "se puso colorado". Never and always are very strong words that shouldn't be used lightly.

And at least in Chile and Argentina, "colorado" is frequently used as a synonym for "red/redish". You may have heard one of the many versions of the song "Rosa colorada".

14. Rondivu Senior Member

I have already apologised to you and made it clear as to when/how I would use "colorado", yet you insist on quoting what I posted initially before I have edited my posts.
    By " ...never heard it used in this way by Spaniards", which is a true statetement, I mean I have never heard anybody from Spain saying "tengo un coche colorado" "llevaba un abrigo colorado" (to me this last sentence does sound comical, sorry), so I don't agree with pitivw that we usually use it because I never use it and never heard it before. Maybe in deepest Galicia it is used that way, I don't know.

PS Hernando de Alarcón named the river "colorado" back in1540. At the time they probably used "colorado" in a different way.

15. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Extremadura/Spain/EU
    Español - Spanish (Spain)
    Siento diferir, pero en esta zona sí que se usa "colorado" como sinónimo de "rojo" en referencia a colores, y me atrevo a decir que en Andalucía también. No es común entre gente joven, pero sí entre digamos personas con un vocabulario más pobre y personas mayores. No es raro escuchar a alguien decir "abrigo colorado" (abrigo colorao) o "camisa colorada" (camisa colorá) por aquí. Aunque personalmente yo no lo uso nunca, me parece un poco "chabacano" al menos dicho como se dice aquí, me suena así.

16. vertebrado Senior Member

espanol (Espana)
    Coincido con Rubens.

17. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Rondivu, I apologize for not having said in my previous message that you had later clarified the statement that I quoted.

Addition: the two posts above this show that at least some Spaniards use "colorado" for "red/redish". As I shave said, in that deleted thread that I mentioned there were several messages from Spaniards saying the same.

18. Rondivu Senior Member

Eso me parece más coherente. Tú utilizas "chabacano" y "personas con un vocabulario más pobre", no quise herir a nadie, y por eso me referí a la "Galicia profunda".
    Saludos

Oldy Nuts, no pasa nada, pelillos a la mar. :)

19. arcaismos New Member

english
    So do people in rural Mexico say el carro colorado or el vestido colorado instead of rojo? Because I know for a fact a lot of people in South Texas use it as synonym of rojo like rosa colorada, or la blusa colorada.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  20. pitivw Senior Member

Galicia
    Spain, Spanish
    I think we must be more accurate when speaking on language and social status. It´s not so simple.
    Using "Colorado" doesn´t mark social status but colloquial situation, even in Buckinham Palace.
    Colloquial uses are more frequent among "normal" peolple indeed, so I must I insist on topic: does not represent a bad or vulgar use of language, it´s only informal. And It can be also used when being less precise to refer to red color -reddish.
    Another example: La Pollera Colorá (Colorada) - a lively Colombian song http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_pollera_colorá
    Happy Christmas

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  21. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I fully agree with pitivw. Colorado is used here regardless of social or economic status.

22. Rondivu Senior Member

I agree but I would never say "un abrigo colorado" to refer to a coat that is reddish. I would use "rojizo", as would 99.9% of the Spanish population.
    Right, but that's not a good example of the Spanish we speak in Spain.
    Happy Christmas to you, too

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  23. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    How can you be so sure that 99.9% of the Spanish population would never say "un abrigo colorado"? Other posts seem to show a different reality.

Merry Christmas to all of you...

24. Rondivu Senior Member

Never heard "colorado" used this way in Spanish films, people from different walks of life interviewed on TV or the newspapers, etc.
    This could go on and on.

25. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Extremadura/Spain/EU
    Español - Spanish (Spain)
    Solo aclarar que no quise decir en mi post, si dio la impresión, que fuera vulgar. Simplemente que se usa por gente que habla un español más de la calle. Sin embargo nunca vería escrito "colorado" en España en referencia a colores, que supongo que es lo que quiere decir Rondivu. Pero en Extremadura es típico oír (lo pongo como se dice):

- Tas puesto colorá/colorao.
    - Tienes la cara coloraíta.
    - Donde me di el golpe se ma puesto colorao.

Por tanto es cierto que suele usarse como sinónimo de "reddish" más que de "red". De todas formas entre gente mayor sí es común oír "colorado" en referencia a colores. Al menos por aquí. Lo que ocurre es que como es algo restringido a personas mayores y se suele oír en zonas rurales, se puede identificar con un lenguaje más vulgar, pero no quise decir que "colorado" fuese vulgar.

26. Rondivu Senior Member

Rubens
    "Colorado" con las partes del cuerpo sí que lo usamos, como ya indiqué en otros mensajes, pero no para describir objetos. A eso me refería.

27. arcaismos New Member

english
    Is it true people in rural parts of Mexico they say el gallo colorado instead of gallo rojo or blusa colorada instead of blusa roja?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  28. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    As already said in several previous messages in this thread, colorado is used as a synonym of rojo not only in rural parts of Mexico, but also in other Latin Amercan countries and even in parts of Spain. And not only in rural areas.

29. aommoa Senior Member

Español-españa
    En Sevilla, capital y pueblos de la corona metropolitana, es bastante común oír colorado (colorao, colorá) para algo de tono rojizo.

Mejó una vé colorao que ciento amarillo

30. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    In Lanzarote, a local beach is called "playa colorada" because of the reddish colour.